Explorer exe. Application error" it says "The instruction at 0x8cb440b9 referenced memory at 0x00000000 The Memory could not be read Click on OK to terminate the program

Original Title: Ed

I have a HP envy that's almost a year old. It came with windows 8. The other day I did the online upgrade to windows 8.1. Now every time I restart or shut down I get an

"explorer exe. Application error" it says "The instruction at 0x8cb440b9 referenced memory at 0x00000000       The Memory could not be read     Click on OK to terminate the program"

"The instruction at" numbers have changed several times and I've tried clicking "OK" and it goes away until the next time I turn on the computer and go to shut down or restart.

Every thing works fine. I just get this error message. Is there any fix?

Moved from XP Programs Forum.

Question Info

Last updated June 27, 2019 Views 19,408 Applies to:
So, you think putting your name in the subject line instead of something meaningful will attract attention?

And why post in the Windows XP forum instead of Windows 8?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry first timer here.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

First of all, to get better help, as Veritas Aequitas noted, edit your question: Place it under Windows 8.1 category and give a better title, such as "Explorer.exe application error - The Memory could not be read".

To solve your problem, I would try the following things:

1) Run a full system scan with an up-to-date antivirus or the default Windows Defender.

2) Scan for system file corruptions: Go to the Start-screen, type "cmd", right click and select "run as administrator". Type "sfc /scannow " (without quotes) at the command window that appears and wait for the validation to complete. This may take several minutes and will inform you about any repairs that happened.

3) Get rid of old unnecessary software: This is a general rule that helps with PC performance. Go to Control Panel, click "uninstall a program", select and uninstall programs that you don't need. For example, an old version of a third party antivirus may be causing trouble to Windows 8.1.

4) Try the "memory diagnostic tool". Go to the Start-screen and type "memory diagnose". Click on the setting "Diagnose your computer's memory problem". On the box that pops up click "restart now and check". Make sure you close all programs and save your work.

Also, are you sure this is explorer.exe (files, folders) and not iexplorer.exe (Internet Explorer)?

Post us back with the results.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I tried it all. Everything came back GOOD, but problem still remains

Sorry this didn't help.

There are two more things I can think of:

1) Update your drivers. Drivers are software that make each hardware component work properly by communicating correctly with the operating system. Visit HP's support website, navigate to the downloads/drivers section and enter your laptop's model. Enter the correct operating system to view the proper drivers. Finally download them and install them. You will have to restart. You don't need to download extra software or any other application that is not marked as a driver.

If hardware drivers is not the cause, then try to

2) Refresh your Windows installation. This will automatically reinstall Windows, modern applications and will keep intact user files and settings. However, it will remove any other program installed (downloaded from the internet or by CD/DVD). This is the most drastic step. To do so, move your cursor to a right corner, click on Settings and then "Change PC settings". Go to Update and Recovery > Recovery and click "Get started" under "Refresh your PC without affecting your files". This process may take a while, keep your PC plugged in. You will have to reinstall your programs after this.

Good luck

a few optional extras before moving to step (2):

a) Try this antivirus scanner by Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

b) See this post and follow the instructions to troubleshoot by performing a clean boot. If the problem does not persist after clean boot, then the cause is one of the installed programs on your PC that starts up with Windows. You will have to find the trouble maker by eliminating startup items one by one.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/explorerexe-application-error-message-at-shutdown/5e723ef3-c9ee-49c6-b0cd-91167957a7b7

Sorry this didn't help.

Have the same problem except I have Windows 10, is there a fix for this ??
Ileana Cabanas

Sorry this didn't help.