Drive defragmentation does not go past 13%

Original Title - Windows 8.1 Defrag help please

Hi there all.

Upon finding the defrag option ( Optimise Drives ) in Windows 8.1 i'm having a slight issue, when the main hard drive ( C ) is defragging the current status keeps changing to "Needs Optimisation" at 13%.

It won't go past 13%

I'm really hoping someone is able to help me with this, or someone from Microsoft, Surely it shouldn't stop at 13% and say needs optimisation, the thing that confuses me with it saying that is im selecting to optimise the drive so I cant understand why its asking me to do it.

I hope to hear back,

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2018 Views 6,324 Applies to:

Hi,

-          Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Let us follow these methods:

Method 1.

Let us perform sfc scan and check the status.

1. Press Windows key + Q to get the search everywhere option.

2. Type cmd, right click on command prompt and select “run as administrator”.

3. In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter.

4. After the scan, restart the computer. Once this is done run defrag and check the status.

Method 2.

One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs use today. No matter which type of drive your PC uses, Windows automatically chooses the optimization that's right for your drive.

Be default, Optimize Drives, previously called Disk Defragmenter, runs automatically on a weekly schedule. But you can also optimize drives on your PC manually.

Refer to the section “To repair a drive” from this article. Once the check disk is done, restart the computer, run defrag and check the status.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same issue.  I am on Windows 8.1.

My C: drive showed "Needs Optimization (13% fragmented)."  I ran Optimize.  It went through 4 passes of relocating and consolidating and when getting to Pass 5 it stopped and showed "Needs....(13%....)" again.  I rebooted my pc and retried several times, getting same result.  I tried the two methods from Srimadwha 8 above, encountered no errors or issues whatsoever, and when running Optimization again it made no difference.  No noticeable problems with my pc beyond this.  Also, note my \\?\Voume{58f95f... drive shows "Needs optimization (22% fragmented) and when running Optimize, after a second or two it reverts back to "Needs ....(22% fragmented).

Any help would be much appreciated.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same defrag problem in Windows 8.1. Never had a problem with Windows 7 or 8, only with the dreaded 8.1. The Microsoft people will keep telling you to run scannow and check disk even though it has been reported repeatedly on this forum that no issues were found with those methods but the Windows 8.1 defrag simply won't work.

You might want to try this. It worked for me. Download and install the free version of Auslogics defrag program. There is an option in there to move system files to the front of the drive. I used that option. It completed the optimization and when I checked it with the Windows defrag (just analyze NOT defrag), fragmentation went down from 13% to 6%.

I noticed from the Auslogics software that the remaining 6% fragmentation was in the swap file. In Windows control panel/system/advanced/performance I set the swap file to no swap file, rebooted and ran Auslogics again. Fragmentation was then down to 0% in the Windows "Analyze" results. I then set the swap file back to automatic.

The windows 8.1 defrag is still broken. It simply doesn't work. I installed a new program and my drive was 3% fragmented. Ran the Windows 8.1 defrag and it stayed at 3%. LOL, what a joke. Ran Auslogics again and it brought fragmentation to 0% which also shows as 0% in Windows analyze results as well.

I have turned automatic Windows defrag off. It's useless other than to simply  analyze the drive. The Auslogics software is however keeping fragmentation at 0% for me.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

PS: if you want some real hands on help with 8.1 I suggest you head over to the Windows 8 forum. Great bunch of guys and if you get "Brink" the mod helping you the chances are the issue will be fixed, if it is fixable. He helped me with this issue.

http://www.eightforums.com/

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Auslogics seemed to have helped, until I tried windows defragger again and it had gone up from 11% to 14% so it made it worse even though Auslogics claimed it was 0 %.... Unless the Windows tool is just not reporting it correctly.  I understand that he fix will be included in the Spring Update to Windows 8.1, so I guess I'll just wait and hope.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Boot the computer in safe mode and check if this helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Further, you may perform a full computer virus scan using Windows Defender to check the status. A fast way to check whether your PC has a virus is to use Windows Defender. This malware protection is included with Windows and helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

How do I find and remove a virus?: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/how-find-remove-virus

Note: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate virus if any.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

This was not the issue. It has been suggested in many other threads on this matter. Didn't help.  Nobody has found a fix except supposedly to wait until the Patch Tuesday.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm afraid you won't get any help from Microsoft on this. Their optimize drives utility is a total failure & they have known about it for a long, long time. I had long discussions with them in a foreign land. Their Tech Support had no answers except to download 3rd party software to do the job.

Sorry this didn't help.