Delayed Resume after Extended Sleep Mode

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit fully patched fairly new (this year) HP laptop.

After extended sleep (an hour or more, whether on fully charged battery or plugged in), laptop takes much longer to resume (almost as long as a cold boot) than it does from a short period of sleep (less than an hour or so). First the symptoms of a normal, "quick nap" followed by those for the abnormal, "long nap."

Quick Nap (Normal):

- Hard drive light blinks

- Power button light blinks

- Pressing the power button wakes system

- Resume takes seconds

- System log indicates the system resumed from a low power state, and that the wake source was the power button

Long Nap (Abnormal):

- Hard drive light stops blinking

- Power button light stops blinking

- Pressing the power button resumes system

- Resuming takes almost as long as a cold boot

- System log indicates the system resumed from a low power state, but that the wake source is unknown

Hibernation is disabled on my system, as it was out of the box.

In the past, with Windows 8 and 8.1, before the Windows 8.1 Update patch, I was able to sleep my system for hours, even a day, and have it resume in a few seconds.

My system is Energy Star certified, if that matters.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2018 Views 5,649 Applies to:
Answer

After looking into this further:

1. Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) is part of my operating system.
  2. Link Power Management (LPM) is embedded in IRST.
  3. LPM is enabled by default on my system.
  4. Also by default, LPM is set to take over power management after 120 minutes (maximum time setting).
  5. On my system, LPM conflicts with Windows 8.1's power management system. This is what was causing the extended sleep issue. LPM would effectively shut down my system after 120 minutes of sleep.

When I disable LPM, Windows will sleep normally for extended periods (overnight, for example). LPM can be disabled on my system, which is fairly new, via the following method:

In the Control Panel, click on Intel Rapid Storage Technology (for those using Category View, this is under Hardware and Sound). On the Performance tab, select Link Power Management: Disable. Reboot.

After doing this, which solved the extended sleep issue for me, I also noted that:

Via Power Options in the Control Panel, when I select Change Plan Settings for the active plan, "Change advanced power settings," expand PCI Express, and expand Link State Power Management, Windows indicates "Off" for both the "On battery," and "Plugged in" states.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi,

There are two type of sleep mode settings. First “Turn of Display after” second “Put the computer to sleep”. When computer turn of on “Turn of Display after”. You will see the behavior in the computer as you mentioned in “Quick nap”.

When computer goes to “Put the computer to sleep” You will see the behavior as you mentioned in “Long nap”.

You can switch “Put the computer to sleep” to Never and check refer this screenshot:

I would suggest you to follow these methods to fix delayed Resume after Sleep Mode and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run the power troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

a) Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
b) Type Troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
c) Click system and security and run the power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Try to reset the power options by executing the following command from an elevated command prompt.

a) Press Windows key + X, click on Command prompt (Admin),

b) Copy and paste (or type) the following command “cmd powercfg.exe –restoredefaultschemes

in the Open box

c) Then press ENTER:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825711.aspx

You can also try changing the power plan. Change the “Power plans” settings. A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings (like display, sleep, etc.) that manages how your PC uses power. The power plans you can use depend on the kind of PC you have.

Click on the below given link to know “How to create and delete a power plan”.

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Method 3: Upgrade the graphics drivers to the latest versions by using the driver update utility provided by your PC manufacturer or download and install manually form manufacturer website.

You may also check for drivers using Windows Update. If issue still persist download drivers from computer manufacture.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.
  3. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver and follow the instructions.

If Windows Update can't find a driver for your device, check the device manufacturer's website, or insert the disc that came with the device, and then follow the instructions for installing the software.

Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.