Cannot open MSSQL$ACT7 service since updating to Windows 8.1

On Jan 4, 2014, I accepted an update to Windows 8.1.  Since that time, I have been unable to open my SageAct!2012 database at all.  I keep getting an error message that says "Cannot open MSSQL$ACT7 service on computer...".

I need to know if this can be corrected so I can access that database, or if I need to remove that update to correct the problem.  And if that is the case, how do I remove that update?  The computer will not allow me to restore to a date prior to 1/12/2014, when the next update was installed.

Please help...the SageAct program is where all my work related information and records are stored, and these records date back to 1997.

Thank you for any help you can give to me with this problem.

|

Hi HollyCaspersen,

This could be either due to the incompatibility of the SageAct! 2012 program with Windows 8.1 operating system or any third party software conflict on the computer.  Please try these methods and let’s know the results.

Method 1: Check the status of the service for the SageAct! 2012 program

Please follow these steps:

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard to open the “Run” command box.

b)       Type “Services.msc” in the “Run” command box and press “ENTER”.

c)       In the “Services” window, double-click on “SQL Server (ACT7)” service to open the properties window.

d)       Stop the service, if it is already running and then restart the service by clicking on the “Start” button.

e)       Now, select “Automatic” from the “Startup type” drop menu.

f)        Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”.

g)       Close the “Services” window and restart the computer.

h)       After the restart, check if the issue persists.

If that doesn’t help, then try the next method.

Method 2: Uninstall the SageAct! 2012 program and reinstall it in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode

To do this, you need to have the SageAct! 2012 setup file on the computer. You can either download this from the Sage website or you can find it in the installation disk of this program. Please try these steps and let’s know the status.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard to open the “Run” command box.

b)       Type “appwiz.cpl” in the “Run” command box and press “ENTER”.

c)       In the “Programs and Features” window, search for this program, select it and then click on “Uninstall”.

d)       Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, use the program setup file to reinstall it in Windows 8 or 7 compatibility mode. To install any drivers/apps in the compatibility mode, you may refer to this article:

Get your apps and devices working in Windows 8

Hope this is helpful. Please get back to us with the result.
Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much for your response.  I had a very difficult week last week, and was unable to check in for the answer until today.  I am currently trying the first solution you suggested, but when I open the Services.msc window, I cannot find SQL Server (ACT7) on the list.  I have an SQL Server (Browser) on the list, but not (ACT7).  Should I use the (Browser) one?  Or do I need to find the (ACT7) one somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Holly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Holly,

You are most welcome and thank you so much for replying with the updates. The reason why you are unable to find the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service in the Services console on the computer might be due to the corrupted installation of the SageAct!2012 program.

We have found many instances where the users have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program and they were able to fix this issue. You may try uninstalling and reinstalling the SageAct!2012 program and check if that helps. If it shows any incompatibility errors, then you may also try installing it in the Windows 8 or 7 compatibility mode and check if that resolves all the issues.

Please get back to us with the results.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2018 Views 251 Applies to: