BSOD error SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION

Original Title: BSoD help? (SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION)

I have a Lenovo Y50 (specs below)

It is relatively new; it's been less than a year since I got it. I primarily use it for playing games and for surfing the web.

A couple days ago, I started getting the Blue Screen of Death, with the error code: SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION

It has been appearing a lot ever since I got the first one.

Today the BSoD started showing up at one hour intervals. It crashed at 3:29, 4:29, 5:29, 6:29, and I get the feeling that it is going to appear again at 7:29. It only started doing that at 3:29. Before, it just showed up randomly. 

I've tried looking for a solution; uninstalling the last thing that was installed, scanning for viruses, going into safe mode (although I don't know what to do once I go into safe mode), etc.

I'm not very tech savvy, so some solutions were kind of hard for me to understand.

This is my minidump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vtqqbV-4DESDBaZnM5Zk5rdXM/view?usp=sharing 

I don't know how to figure out what's wrong, and I probably know even less on how to fix it.

These are the specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 

RAM: 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Graphics Card: NVIDIA(R) GEFORCE(R) GTX

Hello Rosemary,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community Forum.

As per the issue description, I understand that you get BSOD with error code SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION on your Lenovo Y50 Windows 8.1 computer. You have checked uninstalling the last installed program, scanning for viruses and going into safe mode but the issue persists.

I can understand the inconvenience that you have to go through due to this issue, however, let’s work together to get this issue resolved with our collective efforts.  

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

1. Does BSOD appears while performing any specific task or using any specific application?

2. You mentioned that you checked booting the computer in safe mode, does the issue persists while in safe mode as well?

The Google drive dump file posted by you is a text file and does not provide much of the information except “Probably caused by: ntkernalmp.exe”

Could you please zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop.

In the meantime you may refer the suggestions in the Microsoft article below and check.

Resolving Blue Screen errors in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/resolve-windows-blue-screen-errors

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Hope this information is helpful. Please reply with the required information for further assistance on this.

Regards,
Mann Manohar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. The BSOD has always appeared at around half past the hour. It doesn't look like it is connected to a specific application or task. I've had it appear while using Chrome, using Skype, or playing Minecraft (those are the things I mainly use my computer for). It has also appeared when there was nothing open.

2. No, it didn't appear while in safe mode, but I don't think I had my computer in safe mode for long enough since I was a bit impatient. I will put it into safe mode again and see if the problem occurs at the specific time.

*UPDATE*

I put it in safe mode and waited until the time that the BSOD usually appears and it did not appear.

I'm not sure if I did this correctly, but here is the link for my minidump files:

http://1drv.ms/14qlXPx

Thank you for replying and for taking the time to help me :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rosemary,

Thank you for the update on the issue.

Since BSOD did not appear in safe mode, we suspect it is due to any third party software conflict. Hence, I would recommend performing clean boot and check if the still persists in normal mode.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows    

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know the result, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Virtually all the crash dumps flag GoogleUpdate.exe, as the malfunctioning process with the exception of a couple pointing to the all encompassing svchost.exe process under which these are occurring.

I would suggest that if you have any Google application installed, you should uninstall and reinstall the program. If that does not stop the crashing, refer to the link below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-remove-background-process-googleupdateexe-from-the-system/

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  GoogleUpdate.e

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff801615cfba5 to fffff801615d1120

Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I put my system in Clean Boot and waited for about an hour and the BSOD appeared. After the BSOD appeared, I reset my computer to start normally.

I'm not sure if this is of any importance, but the BSOD always appears around the 28/29 minute mark of the hour. It doesn't matter if I just turned the computer on, or if it's already on and being used; the BSOD always appears at that time with no fail (except in safe mode). I mentioned this in the original post, but I wasn't sure if it was significant. 

I have been able to prevent the BSOD from happening by setting the computer clock back 20 minutes, waiting for the 28 minute mark to pass by in actual time (using my phone's clock to check the time), and then setting the computer clock back to the correct time.

I have used this method multiple times now and it always works; the BSOD doesn't appear. I'm not sure if this information will help, but I just thought that I should probably tell someone anyways. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rosemary,

Thank you for keeping us updated with the information. Kindly try the suggestions by XP ROCKS! and revert with the status.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2019 Views 634 Applies to: