Windows 8/8.1 problems losing wifi connection when idle

Hello, 

So I have a laptop that originally came with Windows 7. Under Windows 7 everything functioned properly. The laptop, as it should, remained connected to the network and the shared folders remained accessible to other users on the network without any issues. Since I purchased this computer right when Windows 8 was about to be release I received an upgrade offer from MS to Windows 8 Pro. I purchased that upgrade, because it seemed to me it was a good deal. 

I downloaded and installed the upgraded and all **** broke loose. The drivers that were installed from the factory didn't work, and I actually had to get a MS support tech on the line who graciously downloaded and upgraded my drivers. Eureka, I was able to see the screen again. So I thought all was well, but... 

I have this laptop set up so that it won't go to sleep or hibernate mode. Also I have the network driver/adapter configured that Windows can't "sleep" it to safe energy. So in theory, this thing should never shut down or go into power save mode. However what happens is that when this laptop sits there, after a while when I try to access a shared folder on that laptop I can't. Can't even ping it, or do a tracert / traceroute to this machine. No response. I have this problem when I try to connect from one of my Macs, or when I try to connect to it from Windows XP Pro virtual machine.

The upgrade to Windows 8.1 came out and was hoping for a fix for this problem, but... again, same results. When I go and work on that windows 8.1 machine (logging in) then go to my mapped network drives, I don't have a problem connecting to the Windows XP Pro shared folder, I didn't have problems connecting to the Mac OS X 10.9.1 Server share either ... BUT - When I tried accessing any file on the OS X 10.9.1 share it told me that the server does not support this action. I searched and found some reports that it may have to do with the MS vs Apple SMB 2 integration, and since I don't have any issues connecting to the server share with Windows XP Pro I went ahead and followed instructions and disabled SMB 2/3 on Windows 8.1 laptop. After a restart I was able to map the OS X 10.9.1 server share, presumably with SMB 1, and voila, I can access all the files now without a problem. It takes longer and is slower, but at least it works. But it is not a solution. So either Apple needs to come up with a fix, or Microsoft, or both. This is just not acceptable. If anyone has any ideas what I could try to fix the dropped network connection issue, and what I can do about the SMB 2 server connection issue I would most appreciate it. Thank you. 

PS: I called Microsoft Support before Christmas and they tried a lot of things, but then the tech said that I would need level 2 support. He scheduled a call for me for a Monday between 8 and 9 am. Guess what... I am still waiting for this call today!!!! They are sending me emails wanting me to do a survey on how the call went and I keep on trashing them because the call never happened. Why does that happen? Why is nobody from level 2 support calling me back? I don't want to talk to someone in India or Philippines again for basic troubleshooting, or get transferred 10 times to the wrong person so that I have to schedule another call 2 hours later. I really need MS upper level support to give me a call. 

Thank you, 

Martin

Question Info

Last updated June 28, 2018 Views 1,415 Applies to:

Hi Martin,

Windows 8 has a default feature to turn off the wireless adapter card to save power. To disable it try the steps provided below.

1. Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings
  2. Right click on the connected wifi connection -> properties
  3. Clicks “Configure…” button -> select “Power Management” tab
  4. Uncheck this “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
  5. Ok and restart Windows

For the issue with SMB Servers, you can post the issue on the link provided below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

Do let us know if the information provided helps.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This seems to work and is a good solution. Thanks Naman R!

I've tested it for two days. I was having the problem when Windows would go to sleep for an extended period of time. After a day of "sleeping," I would lose the WIFI. I would not be able to manually re-connect and would have to reboot/restart. I will update if my problems return or continue to exist. This problem only started after an upgrade to 8.1. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.