Wi-Fi won't reconnect after sleep or hibernation

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Applies to: Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Update 1

There has been a significant number of threads regarding the inability to auto-reconnect to a wireless network after the PC resumes from Sleep or Hibernation. This article tends to provide a possible solution and a workaround if the latter doesn’t work.

Situation

Your PC resumes from Sleep or Hibernation and doesn’t auto-reconnect to the wireless network. The Wi-Fi pictogram looks as follow on the Lock screen, in the Charm bar and on the Desktop taskbar:

Details

Assumptions made

• This is a persistent issue since you upgraded to Windows 8.x
  • You already updated your wireless card driver to the latest version or the version recommended by your PC / Wireless card manufacturer
  • The Wi-Fi switch is On and the Airplane switch is Off
  • The wireless network your PC should reconnect to is up and running and its security key hasn’t changed
  • You’re logged on with Administrator rights

How-To reconnect

• Run the Network troubleshooter
  • or Disable then re-enable the wireless network card in the Device Manager
    • [Win] + X > Device Manager > Expand the Network adapters section
    • Right-click on the wireless network card > Disable > Yes
    • Right-click on the wireless network card > Enable
  • or Restart the PC
  • …etc.

But next time your PC will resume from Sleep or Hibernation you will face the same issue.

How-To try fixing the issue

1. Follow steps provided in paragraph My wireless connection isn’t connected when my PC resumes from sleep or hibernation from the Windows 8.1 Wired and wireless network problems online article.
  2. Disable the power saving option of the wireless network adapter
    • [Win] + X > Device Manager > Expand the Network adapters section
    • Right-click on the wireless network card > Properties > Power Management tab
    • Uncheck option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power + OK:

then test...

Workaround

The workaround consists of pining a shortcut (that “reset” the wireless network card) to the Start screen. Although this isn’t fully satisfactory this takes less time than running the Network troubleshooter or disabling/re-enabling the card through the Device Manager.

1.  Identify the wireless network card to “reset”

• [Win] + W > Type Windows powershell + [Enter]
  • Type Get-NetAdapter + [Enter] at the Powershell prompt
    Next to Wi-Fi in the Name column you get the InterfaceDescription string of your wireless adapter (Intel(R) Wireless… in this case):

2.  Create the shortcut

• Go to the Desktop > Right-click > New > Shortcut
  • Type powershell.exe restart-netadapter -InterfaceDescription 'xxxxxx' -Confirm:$false
    xxxxxx must be replaced with the InterfaceDescription string read in #1. In this case this would give:

powershell.exe restart-netadapter -InterfaceDescription 'Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN' -Confirm:$false

• Click Next > Give it a name, i.e. Reset my Wi-Fi card > Click Finish
  • Right-click on the shortcut > Properties > Advanced… (button) > Check option Run as administrator > OK twice

3.  Pin the shortcut

• Right-click on the shortcut > Pin to Start and/or Pin to Taskbar

More information

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 22, 2019 Views 122,105 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

this issue wifi going to sleep and not reconnecting is so tiresome.

Hours lost trying to solve it

unproductive hours of lost time.

and lost money

The fix that worked for me when I was having Wireless Limited Connection, Intermittent Connection, No Connection At All, Won’t Connect After Sleep, and/or Dropping Internet Connection issues is listed below.

I like many of you have spent many frustrating hours regarding Wireless Limited Connection, Intermittent Connection, No Connection At All, Won’t Connect After Sleep, and/or Dropping Internet Connection issues. In addition, I am not technical savvy; therefore, I was afraid to try certain solutions that were suggested, which added to my frustration. Then a friend gave me a solution and it worked. I don’t know why, but it did. This solution works for all PC operating systems. I believe the solution below should also work for an Apple/MAC; however, I do not have a way to verify it.  

When you receive a Wireless Limited Connection, Intermittent Connection, No Connection At All, Won’t Connect After Sleep, and/or Dropping Internet Connection issues AND you know that your internet connection, router, and modem have no issues, and other devices are connected to your wireless network and have no issues, try the solution below.

Close all applications

Go to your Network Connections

Disable your Wireless Device

Hardwire or connect your computer or laptop with an Ethernet cable

Connect to your network – you may need to choose/click on your network

Reboot/restart your computer or laptop

Open a browser

Click around to ensure everything is working

Close everything

Disconnect your Ethernet cable

Go back to your Network Connections

Enable your Wireless Device

Connect to your network

Open your browser

You should be good

Down the road, if something changes, i.e. your provider, modem, router, or any devices of this type and you start having these same types of issues, just follow these steps again and it will correct your issue. (Originally, I changed providers and started having connectivity issues. That is when my friend told me about the solution above. It corrected all of my connectivity issues. Then down the road my modem went bad. My provider changed out my modem. I started having After Sleep Connection issues. I started searching for a fix on the internet. I was extremely frustrated. It took me a week to remember this fix. After completing the steps above, everything is working well.)

Thank you;

I've just purchased a new laptop with my first copy of Win 8.1 and have been struggling mightily.  This wifi issue is extremely annoying.  I hope the fix works. I'm disable turning the wifi off and I've created the reset shortcut too.  I know its not my wireless router as other devices do not loose connection and rebooting the laptop or troubleshooting the connection were the only solutions that worked.  (Like jmvw's post I had tried numerous things to fix this and either rebooting or running the network trouble shooter were the only two that worked.) 

One comment is that search, Windows Powershell, or powershell, did not work.  Bringing up a command prompt and then entering powershell.exe did work.  And the shortcut works.  Just the Search function did not find it.

I had a similar problem with my new Asus TP550L touchscreen laptop - Disconnect from the wifi network, put the machine to sleep under Win 8.1. Then, wake it up and the visible wifi networks appear for a second then vanish. I found the quickest way to regain Wifi access was to -

Turn Wifi Off and On again. Then press Function Key F5 to refresh, and bingo, the networks re-appear, ready to re-connect successfully.

Pretty simple in the end.

Hope this works for others as well,

I have a new Linx 10 inch tablet runnidng Windows 8.1. It has an in-built Realtek RTL8723BS Wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter. This DOES NOT have a Tab for power management. I bought it to record the images from my CCTV cameras. I had a camera which recorded to inbuilt SD card but someone stole the lot.

Without a solution to this problem my PC (and Windows 8.1) is just expensive junk. What did Microsoft change to cause this to happen when it never happened under previous Windows versions and why can they not just reverse the change? What are the benefits to ANYONE of the change?

Why won't Microsoft fix a problem which obviously affects many users and has been known about for at least a year?

I would have recommended Windows 8.1 but for this.

Also why is connecting to a network and the internet so complicated in Windows? Android just DOES IT!

I have a Surface Pro 3 and do not have the Power Management tab on my network adapter properties window.  I believe a windows update roughly 2 or 3 months ago finally solved this problem for me, and then about 2 weeks ago, it has again returned :(.  I would like to find that Power Management feature to try in case that is what is causing this.  More helpful though would be seeing what each patch is related to from the windows update window so I would more easily find and roll back suspected patches related to the network functionality.

This procedure absolutely works! I have been pulling my hair out after one of the windows updates caused this problem.

Now it connects faster than ever!
 UPDATE:

This work initially, but reverted back to the same problem. The ultimate fix for me after following all the "fixes" above, was to uninstall the wireless adapter and re-install, letting Windows find the best driver. This ultimately fixed this problem permanently, but be aware that you will lose all your list of wireless sites and passwords. This is an unfortunate side effect of the uninstall, but well worth the aggravation of having to deal with no reconnect every time you come out of hibernate or  sleep modes.

In my case (VAIO Duo 13 - Broadcom adapter, always needing reset after resume from hibernate) worked for me

uninstall and delete the wireless network driver

reboot

reinstall it 

The fix worked for me. Thanks! I am highly technical if just learning the quirks of Windows 10 and it was very annoying. I was having to restart or shut down rather than  allow the PC to sleep.

You're fooling people, IMO. All these steps are useless.

Your "blondy list" can be shortened to:

- disable wifi adapter

- enable wifi adapter

- connect to wifi network

Also, you're not explaining the root of the problem and what is more interesting is how this bunch of useless steps are connected to it.