Network adapter not functioning properly and under device manager, my network adapter displays: "This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed}

* Original Title: Network Adapter Code 10

After starting my computer, my network adapter was no longer functioning properly.

Under device manager, my network adapter displays: "This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The request operation was unsuccessful. I have been trying to solve this for the past 8 hours searching MS Community, Tom's Hardware, and your usual Google searches. I have an above average knowledge on software/hardware, and it seems to be a simple fix.

I have attempted:
- Disable/Enable

- Update Driver

- Uninstalling the Driver (through Device Manager and manually deleting the file in the folder win/sys32/driver)+ Reinstalling via CD, Manufacturer drivers through a USB flash drive

- Attempting to delete Upper/Lower filters in RegEdit, but those results were not available

- Updating BIOS

- Altering BIOS options

- Attempted to check for a power issue: disconnected excess hardware, fans, lowered GPU CPU to the lowest value, etc.

- Windows troubleshooter

Nothing has changed, and the system has been running smoothly for over a year.

I have noticed that after uninstalling by any means, when refreshing Device Manager, the hardware reappears. When deleting the file manually in the folder, it will occasionally be gone until I reinstall the driver once again. Other times it will pop back up again.

The adapter is a "Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet"

In this situation, I don't believe it matters much, but I'm sure someone will ask about it.

Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit

i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E @ stock 3.60Ghz

Dual Channel 2x8GB G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GAR DDR3 1600 running at CAS's of 8.0 9.0 10.0 9.0; 1.50 volts

PowerColor Radeon HD6870

ASRock x79 Extreme 4-M

Said onboard LAN

Onboard Realtek Audio

2x Samsung SSD's Raid 0

3TB Seagate for Media Storage

750Watt PSU

I will gladly accept any possible solutions and offer any more necessary information.

All other devices connected to the same network are performing as per the usual. I have swapped cat-5 cables and they all work.

It is a software issue to the best of my knowledge.

I have also attempted to install an old, spare Belkin USB wireless adapter to no avail. However, the particular product has had issues in the past which is why it was at the bottom of my extra hardware drawer.

My last resort for now is to go buy a cheap PCI-E adapter and test it as a possible temporary solution. But I would prefer to use the onboard LAN if this can be resolved.

My thanks for reading as well as for any suggestions.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 4,053 Applies to:

Hi,

Error code 10 error messages are produced by hardware devices that “cannot start”. This failure to start is in direct relation to a bad or faulty device driver. Code 10 errors are reported by the Windows Device Manager and are a clear indicator that the driver for the malfunctioning hardware device is either corrupted or generating errors of its own. In either case, the hardware device driver has gone bad during its operation and should be replaced.

As you have done almost all possible troubleshooting steps, let’s try to install the following driver if you have not tried this and see if it fixes the issue.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink_k57.php (Install Windows 8.1 driver)

If the issue persists, let’s try these methods and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Disable IPV6 and check.

a. Press Windows Key +X, click on Control Panel.

b. Click Networking and sharing center.

c. Click Change adapter settings on the left hand side.

d. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

e. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

f. Click on Ok.

Method 2:

a. From the Start button, type CMD, right click on CMD and select Run as administrator.

b. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt, and then press the Enter key.

c. Do the same processes for refreshing the TCP/IP just replace the typed command with the following commands:

netsh interface ipv4 reset press Enter.

netsh interface ipv6 reset
press Enter.

ipconfig /flushdns press Enter.

d. Restart your computer and check the issue.

I would have you install all available Windows Updates including optional updates and check.

You may also try to restore your computer to an earlier working condition and see if it makes any difference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Kindly update us the status of the issue.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the advice Sharief, unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I had previously attempted downloading from the manufacturer's site with no luck. I tried both methods separately to no avail. All updates are up to date. I took a wireless PCI-E NIC from another computer for the time being, but I would much prefer having a hardline connection.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I would suggest you to install the latest version of chipset drivers from computer’s manufacturer’s website and see if it makes any difference.

I would also recommend you to contact the Broadcom and check if the device is working properly or there are any known issues.

http://forum.broadcom.com/sendmessage.php

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

K.Z. Sharief Khan

Sorry this didn't help.

I ended up buying a quick PCI-E network card at my local TigerDirect. It is also nonfunctional. However, when rebooting in safe mode w/ networking, internet access is available. I've worked Norton, AVG, Avast, Comodo, Malwarebytes, CCleaner.

I would assume it's some type of settings that need to be changed if it is working in Safe Mode.

If someone may happen to know what needs to be changed in normal boot so it is operational, as it is in Safe Mode, I would be most appreciative.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can ping comcast.net, but no other websites 100% loss.

I've released/renewed the IP, and everything looks normal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Clean boot solved the problem with the new NIC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

Once you find out the cause of the issue, you may update the program or contact the manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

K.Z. Sharief Khan

Sorry this didn't help.