The JAVA Runtime is one of the most popular web browser plug ins used on numerous websites to power applications used in banking and gaming. Windows does not bundle the JAVA Runtime, so the user will have to download and install it from Oracle.com. In this article, we take a look at the quick and easy steps install it on Windows 8 and later. Please note, you should only install JAVA if you need it, since it can be used as a targetted vector for malicious attacks.
The first thing you need to do is determine which version of JAVA you need to download for your copy of Windows.
Which version of Java should I download for my 64-bit Windows operating system?
- Uninstall older versions of JAVA you might have installed.
Press Windows key + X > click Programs and Features
Scroll through the list of installaed programs
Select JAVA and click Change/Uninstall on the command bar
Restart your system
- Disable your third party Antivirus you might have installed prior to updating.
- Do a clean boot.
- Reset your web browser to its default factory state and try again.
In Internet Explorer, click Tools or Alt + X
Click Internet Options
Go to the Advanced (tab)
Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click 'Reset'
Try installing again
If you encounter download errors: 1305, 2755, 1606, see
- Download the appropriate java setup file
- Save it to your hard disk.
- Disconnect your computer from the Internet, this includes disconnecting Ethernet cable or disconnect your wireless connection.
- Install JAVA from the setup file.
- Restart your computer
- Reconnect to the Internet and JAVA should be installed.