Can see other SSID's on my Laptop, but I can't connect to mine

Ok, so for quite a while I've had no problems with connecting to my wireless network via my Laptop and all other wireless devices (iPhones).  The iPhones are still able to connect to my wireless networks perfectly, but I have to reset the wireless network by pushing a button on the router in order for my Laptop to even see or display my SSID in the list of available networks.  My router is configured to display the SSID and my laptop is configured to connect to that SSID when in range.  I'm sitting 5 feet away from the router with my phone and laptop, but only the phone will connect.

I haven't changed the SSID, password on either the router or any device.

Sometimes when I first turn on the laptop, it will connect to the internet, and then in the middle of doing something I suddenly lose the connection and then I have to reset the wireless connection in order for my computer to even display the SSID in the list of available networks.  Once it displays, it connects automatically and then works perfectly until the next time I use my laptop.

Other times, it won't connect to the laptop at all, and I have to reset the wireless connection on the router for it to connect, and even for the SSID to display in the list of connections in range.

I've disabled the wireless adapter, then enabled it, removed all of my wireless network profiles on my laptop and re-created them, shut down, restarted, etc etc etc.  I have done everything that I can possibly think of and I continue to have the same problem.

I have restored my computer to a month ago when I wasn't having this problem, but I still have the problem.

Again, every other device I have connects to my router perfectly every single time, and my laptop USED to too.

I have no idea what I can do to eliminate this issue.  Please help!

Question Info

Last updated December 17, 2019 Views 5,569 Applies to:
Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. You have reached the right place. Let us work together to find the root cause of this issue and try resolving it.

This issue might occur if your router and the network adapter in your PC might not work together.

To work, the network adapter in your PC must use a wireless standard that is equal to or older than the router’s wireless standard. For example, if the network adapter in your PC uses the 802.11n wireless standard (also called Wireless-N) but your router uses 802.11g (also called Wireless-G), you won't be able to connect because the Wireless-G standard is an earlier version and doesn’t recognize Wireless-N. However, if the router uses Wireless-N but the adapter in your PC uses Wireless-G, you should be able to connect if the router is set to mixed mode.

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link and see if that helps.

Why can't I find a wireless network?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-find-wireless-network#1TC=windows-8

Also refer to the link: Wired and wireless network problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Post us the results after you try the above steps.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

When I changed my router, I had this issue. Every device in the house would detect my router except my laptop. And my laptop could detect other SSIDs just not my new one. I tried everything - powering off the laptop and router, turning the WIFI button on the router on and off repeatedly and running all the updates - yet it had no effect. I then noticed that the router had a small reset button, the kind that you press with a pin. I pressed this for about 10 seconds untill all the lights in the router went off, and then when they came back on again, the problem was solved.

Maybe your solutions is the same, the little reset button on the router.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.