Question

BSOD creating a WiFi hotspot

J C. asked on

Hello all,

I am trying to share the ethernet connection of my desktop with my laptop by creating a WiFi hotspot. I tried two methods :

- Software (Connectify, etc)

- Command lines ([netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode =allow ssid="ConnectionName" key="Password"] and then [netsh wlan start hostednetwork])

The WiFi network configuration works well but each time I connect my laptop I get a BSOD with error DPC_WATCHDOG-VIOLATION on my desktop. I learned that I had to debug the dump file C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP so I did it. Here is what I get after trying to connect to a Connectify hotspot :

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)

The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL

or above.

Arguments:

Arg1: 0000000000000000, A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending

component can usually be identified with a stack trace.

Arg2: 0000000000000501, The DPC time count (in ticks).

Arg3: 0000000000000500, The DPC time allotment (in ticks).

Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:

------------------

DPC_TIMEOUT_TYPE:  SINGLE_DPC_TIMEOUT_EXCEEDED

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x133

PROCESS_NAME:  Connectify.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  d

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.16384 (debuggers(dbg).130821-1623) amd64fre

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80126f77f7c to fffff80126f53ca0

STACK_TEXT:  

fffff801`28ab5e38 fffff801`26f77f7c : 00000000`00000133 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000501 00000000`00000500 : nt!KeBugCheckEx ....

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 

rtwlanu+53ab3

fffff800`032e0ab3 6644894c2450    mov     word ptr [rsp+50h],r9w

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  8

SYMBOL_NAME:  rtwlanu+53ab3

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: rtwlanu

IMAGE_NAME:  rtwlanu.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  51dd743f

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x133_DPC_rtwlanu+53ab3

BUCKET_ID:  0x133_DPC_rtwlanu+53ab3

ANALYSIS_SOURCE:  KM

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING:  km:0x133_dpc_rtwlanu+53ab3

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {0c9dbd6c-bd85-2418-2715-6ed1df36a223}

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

According to the line 'IMAGE_NAME:  rtwlanu.sys' it seems that the problem come from the WiFi chip of my desktop. It is an external (USB) WiFi adapter (TP-LINK TL-WN821N). The chip number is RTL8192CU (Realtek).

Problem is: I checked on the Realtek website and the driver is up to date (the suggested driver is even older than mine).

How can I fix that ?

Thanks.

4 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Sergio Calderón replied on
You probably got the driver from Windows Update, uninstall it and reinstall it from Realtek website.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/secalderonr | Blog: geeks.ms/blogs/checho
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Thanks!

The attached DMP file is of the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) bug check.

This bug check indicates that the DPC watchdog executed, either because it detected a single long-running deferred procedure call (DPC), or because the system spent a prolonged time at an interrupt request level (IRQL) of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

---------------

This may be an issue with Connectify, however let's get around possible conflicts:

1. Uninstall Asus PC Probe.

2. In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

3. The device driver for your EyeTV DTT IR TV Tuner USB is extremely old (2007). This is far too old for Windows 8, nonetheless 8.1, to work with. I'd recommend removal of the device and software ASAP for troubleshooting purposes.

4. Enable Driver Verifier if you still crash after the above:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4690-restore-point-create-windows-8-a.html

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select  - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is [B]NOT[/B] provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・    Restart and boot into normal Windows.

If your OS became corrupt or you cannot boot into Windows after disabling verifier via Safe Mode:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Regards,

Patrick
Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress