Q: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied." - Windows 8.1 - Brother DCP-195C Printer This thread is locked from future replies

I have a machine with Windows 8.1 and a Brother DCP-195C Printer connected to it. Everything works great.

But then I have two laptops, one with Windows 7 and another with Windows 8.1. When I try to add the (network) printer, in both of them, I get the error message: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied." All the sharing settings seem to be fine. I've also tried all the tips I could find to solve the problem, like editing "Point and Print Restrictions" in Group Policy Editor or adding the printer manually, but it didn't help.

Since it happens on both laptops, I'm guessing it's a host-related problem. I just don't know what can it be.

I would also like to add that before installing Windows 8.1 I had Windows 7 installed, and I was able to connect to the printer in both laptops without any issues. Furthermore, if I connect the printer to any of the laptops via usb cable, it works fine.

Any help is much appreciated.

Printers that are connected with a USB cable can be shared with a homegroup.

You may refer to the following link and check if it helps.

HomeGroup from start to finish

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

39 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 52,961 Last updated: March 19, 2018 Applies to: