Windows automatic update disabled laptop keyboard and touchpad.

After installing automatic updates on my TOSHIBA laptop with Windows 8.1 the keyboard no longer works.
Upon examining the details, it appears that updates were installed a day or two before but the issue started only after a reboot.

The following devices are indicated as not working in device manager:

1) HID keyboard device
2) Standard PS/2 keyboard:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

3) Elan input device:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

There is nothing wrong with the keyboard itself. This computer has a dual boot with a Windows 7 partition. The keyboard works normally in Windows 7. The USB mouse that I prefer to use is working normally.

These are the things I have tried (using the on screen keyboard) without success;

-Uninstalling the Elan software update that I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, triggered the issue.

-Uninstalling the non-working keyboard and related devices from device manager and rebooting. 

-Uninstalling the items from device manager and scanning for hardware changes and letting Windows find and install drivers.

-Installing OS appropriate drivers from TOSHIBA's website

-Reinstalling the Elan software update.

-Running  the devices troubleshooting software from Microsoft.

I was unable to try undoing any changes with System Restore, because although System Protection for the partition was enabled, there were no restore points. I have no explanation for why that was the case. Isn't Windows supposed to create a restore point automatically when updates are installed?  But then again, Windows Update isn't supposed to disable your keyboard either. 

I have been unable to find any useful advice online so far. 

I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

The specifications for the laptop are as follows:

Toshiba C655d-S5300
64 bit
dual boot with Windows 8.1 Pro 

AMD E-300 APU 1.3ghz
8GB RAM

While it's true that this laptop was manufactured before Windows 8 was released, keep in mind that the keyboard has been working in Windows 8/8.1 environment for almost two years.

I've had the same thing happen.  I was using the keyboard right before the update then it restarted and nothing. The external mouse works but that's it.

I've tried the same things you have.

I had restore points but windows would not restore, even in safe mode.

My laptop came with Windows 8.

I've given up and am refreshing.

I can not believe that this problem has been going for years now and there's no fix.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply, Lisa. I am frustrated and mystified by the lack of interest or ideas for a problem that Microsoft should be embarrassed has been occurring.

So, among all the experts in the community, no one has a clue?

Since this appears to be a registry issue, can anyone recommend a registry edit that might fix it?

If the related registry keys were deleted, might they be recreated when I attempt to reinstall the drivers?

Does anyone know?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, on the advice of a friend, I am going to try deleting the related registry keys and reinstalling the drivers. At this point it can't hurt. I'll post the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am pleased to report that my keyboard is now working! As I suspected, I was able to fix the problem with a registry edit.

First I needed to identify the specific registry key that was causing the issue. I was able to find a clue from a YouTube video recommending a fix for a disabled keyboard/touchpad on Windows 8. The author recommended changing the following key:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Class...

... from there you need to find the entry associated with the keyboard. The hardware will appear in roughly alphabetical order.The video recommended changing the value of the UpperFilters for the (Class) Keyboard to kdbclass and then rebooting.

That didn't work. 

So I just decided to delete the whole entry for UpperFilters and after the reboot, the keyboard came to life.

As Windows 8.1 reloaded it apparently rewrote the UpperFilters for the Keyboard Class registry.

So to all those who have suffered from this crazy problem and waited in vain for Microsoft to offer some useful advice, this seems to work. No need to rebuild your OS from scratch.

My heartfelt thanks to all who took an interest and replied to my post.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi, do you know where would it be possible for me to get the keyboard drivers for the model below?

Manufacturer:

Acer

Model:

Aspire V5-431P

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you explain how to do this in village-idiot-speak? I'm just a mere mortal, over here. Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm really not sure my friend. My best advice is to check for driver downloads on the manufacturer's website:   us.acer.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away. I will try to be of help if I can an offer step by step instructions:

I assume that you are experiencing a similar issue on a PC with windows 8.1 and my advice is tailored to that assumption. (That includes the ability to use an external mouse)

First in order to be able to type while the keyboard is disabled you have  to use the virtual keyboard available within Windows 8.1. At the sign in screen you can access the on screen keyboard by right clicking the semicircular icon on the lower left. Once you're at the desktop screen you will have to open it again.  Point your mouse to the window icon in the lower left corner and right click. Select Control Panel from the menu that appears. From there select Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center and click on Start On Screen Keyboard. Keep it open. You can minimize it if it blocks your view of a key panel. It can be restored from the Metro interface and used there as well.

Next open the Metro interface ( Click Windows Icon in lower left corner ) Use the On Screen keyboard to type ( in any blank spot ) " command prompt " Right click "Command Prompt" when it appears and select "run as administrator"

This will take you back to the desktop where a black box will open. Navigate to the prompt

(C:\Windows\system32>) and use the on screen keyboard to type "regedit".

The registry editor will open. You can close the command prompt box.

The registry editor, you will see, consists of two panels. The one on the left shows the registry tree and the right panel will show the contents of whatever key you have highlighted on the left.

Navigate to the key described in my original post:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Class...

Within the Class folder you'll see a number of subfolders with lengthy names consisting of letters and numbers. Select each one in turn until you find the one associated with the keyboard. This will become apparent by reading the "contents" in the right panel. You will see the  term "keyboard" under the Data column.

Under the Name column you will see the term Upper Filters. Highlight it and then delete it.

Then you're done. Just reboot and if your situation is like mine the registry entry should rewrite itself and you will have a working keyboard once again.

I also recommend closing the registry folders you expanded in the left panel before rebooting but that is just for tidiness and will not affect the outcome.  Good luck I hope this post does not reach you too late.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This did not work. Any other advice? The  box store wanted to charge $200 to reinstall my OS. I am not very the tech savvy, but that seems extreme for a 2 day old laptop. I may be going in to replace this computer. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2023 Views 4,141 Applies to: