Windows 8 Wireless Issues - Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter

I'm currently running Windows 8.1.

Since upgrading to Windows 8, and subsequently 8.1, I've noticed that the wireless-connectivity on my desktop has been problematic.  On first booting up the PC the internet connects and everything seems and works fine, however after various periods of time and/or switching from one account to the other I am unable to access the internet.  When using Windows 8 options included troubleshooting the network connection and eventually having to reset my network adapter or restart the computer.  Since “upgrading” to 8.1 the troubleshooting wizard has become next to useless.  The wizard either never finishes and just hangs or doesn’t fix (and sometimes doesn’t find) the problem, with both events resulting in me having to restart my computer.

I have tried updating my wireless adapter which is the 'Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter" via the ASUS support website to no luck.  I've also tried disabling/enabling the network adapter to see if that would do the trick.  Unfortunately my computer just hangs when trying to do anything with the network adapter via device manager.  This includes; enabling/disabling the adapter, updating the driver, uninstalling the driver, rolling back the driver, reinstalling the driver.  Anything I try to do with the adapter results in the computer hanging, not freezing as I can continue to do other things e.g. use Word, Media Player, print and scan etc.

The 'network' and 'network adapter' troubleshoots aren't useful.

And all of the above is in spite of the Device Manager telling the device is working properly!

Specs: Asus P8Z77-V
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless 

Almost completely out of ideas at this point.

I have tried to find the answer online but haven't been able to find one that works. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Answer

Hi Msteggles, 

What we suggest is that you can check our Microsoft Update Catalog to manually find and download the wireless network adapter driver you are looking for. Click this link for further assistance. We also suggest that you contact your device's manufacturer for additional assistance with the driver you are looking. You can reach them on this link. 

Thanks, 

Jarius Tol

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 17, 2023 Views 93,270 Applies to: