VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR while installing NVidia driver, downloaded direct from the source

I found a solution, see my second post below

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EDIT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, so, my nvtray told me there was a new driver available for me, I downloaded it and got to installing it, and the driver made it about 10% of the way into installing before the new Frowny Screen of Death came up, telling me to look up the above error. Everything I've found so far tells me to try installing the latest NVIDIA driver, which is exactly what I was trying to do when it happened -.-''

After the reboot, a dialog box titled "RunDLL" came up, with the following message...
> "There was a problem starting NVCPL.DLL
> Invalid access to memory location."
I didn't think to screenshot at the time because I figured it'd come up again when I tried to install the driver again, but instead this second message came up which I did screenshot, and has been appearing in the subsequent times I tried to install the driver.
http://sta.sh/08919yutau5 (uploaded to Deviantart.com's sta.sh site, should be viewable by anyone without an account)

At first it sounded like a permissions problem, now it's trying to run it as an application(?) which is entirely beyond me.

I read in other threads that came up that the Community needs the DMP file(s) to possibly figure out what happened, yeah? I've got that ready already, but there was only one file I could find, despite having done it at least three times;

Here's some stats about my computer ('cause I dunno if they're in the DMP file or not);
• HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
• 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
• The page to download the setup file that the NVIDIA site pointed me to; http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/71706/en-us

I dunno what else to give you. I can't roll back the driver any more than it is now because it's a brand new laptop, but just outside the Returns window (._. ,) And I can't update to the most current driver 'cause that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Please assist, thanx.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2018 Views 13,669 Applies to:
Hi,

The attached DMP file is of the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR (113) bug check.

This indicates that the Microsoft DirectX graphics kernel subsystem has detected a violation.

-- OVERLAPPED_MODULE: Address regions for 'nvlddmkm' and 'nvlddmkm.sys' overlap

^^ nVidia video driver.

1. Uninstall your nVidia video card drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

2. Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your card a try.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx

3. If you're still crashing after the above, enable Driver Verifier:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4690-restore-point-create-windows-8-a.html

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select  - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is [B]NOT[/B] provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・    Restart and boot into normal Windows.

If your OS became corrupt or you cannot boot into Windows after disabling verifier via Safe Mode:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Regards,

Patrick
Debugger/Reverse Engineer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Success :D

For anyone with Windows 8.1 and having the same trouble with getting a BSOD while trying to install an NVIDIA driver, and if you happen to be as slow as me (as if ^^; ), here's what happened;

I followed the uninstall directions linked above (and here) from the NVIDIA site;
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

It's in pre-Windows 7 speak, so you'll end up going to [Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall or change a program], then find "NVIDIA Graphics Driver ###.##" (not exactly the program named in the instructions), uninstall just that one if you have multiple NVIDIA programs, and then go about installing the proper driver related to your graphics card from the NVIDIA site.

Everything looks totally fine after I did all that :D

=======EDIT=======

I did have this problem a second time, and as RameshRKR described, uninstalling the drivers and doing a clean install, but STILL getting a bluescreen. Couldn't use the new driver, the previous driver, even older drivers, beta drivers, not a thing would install without a bluescreen of frowniness. I did indeed put in a trouble ticket with nVIDIA, and they helped me resolve the issue.

What happened was, there were half-deleted corrupted files and reg keys and processes all over the place, and the clean installer couldn't remove them (I guess 'cause they weren't recognizable?). So the nVIDIA helper guy pointed me towards a program developed by an independent programmer, called the "Display Driver Uninstaller" (or DDU) which completely cleans any and all files that have ever been associated with nVIDIA or AMD or Intel (the option is select-able).

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/?comment=4356570

(might need an account, I'm not sure)

WARNING though, as I said the developer is independent, so nVIDIA will accept no responsibility in case anything goes wrong. However, this is what fixed my problem entirely. After this, I was able to install the latest driver, and I'm still playing my favorite games at the highest graphics, no problem. If you wanna see how the whole thing went, all the problems I discovered along the way, and the solution I'm describing here, here's the forum post I made over on their community forum;

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/791078/geforce-drivers/video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error-but-no-other-drivers-installed/

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Success :D

For anyone with Windows 8.1 and having the same trouble with getting a BSOD while trying to install an NVIDIA driver, and if you happen to be as slow as me (as if ^^; ), here's what happened;

I followed the uninstall directions linked above (and here) from the NVIDIA site;
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

It's in pre-Windows 7 speak, so you'll end up going to [Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall or change a program], then find "NVIDIA Graphics Driver ###.##" (not exactly the program named in the instructions), uninstall just that one if you have multiple NVIDIA programs, and then go about installing the proper driver related to your graphics card from the NVIDIA site.

Everything looks totally fine after I did all that :D

Hi,

I have the same problem. I got the brand new HP envy 15.
It prompted me to upgrade nvidia driver. I downloaded and tried to intall, i got the blue screen and same error messages.
Problem now is, i tried it again for clean install. It also failed. But now there is no driver shown control panel for me uninstall. I also tried to reinstall from HP recovery but the same blue screen again!
Dont know what to do now!

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same pc, and exactly the same issue. and i have no clue how to resolve it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Finally it worked. But there is a twist. I had raised a request to Nvidia support and followed their instructions. Their final reply was to try clean installing the latest beta driver 334.67. It worked. I was able to clean install without the BSOD. But after this i updated windows and BIOS as suggested by HP. When i restarted the system, the mouse stopped working! Now, i dont know whether this is caused by Nvidia drivers or BIOS update or windows update!

This only shows how pathetic Windows 8.1 is!! I never had any issues with Windows 7. But since the first day of buying this new machine with 8.1, i face issues on daily basis.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same pc, and exactly the same issue. and i have no clue how to resolve it. 

Hi

I have finally solved it. What i did is, re-installed Windows 8 to recover from USB issues. It set the machine to initial stage with original nvidia drivers restored. After this, i tried clean install of nvidia driver 334.67 beta. It went well, no BSOD. Problem lies with OS and not Nvidia as the customer support from nvida suggested. They provided better support than HP or microsoft.
Now all i have to make sure is this: disable windows auto-update. This is because after an update the USB drivers may malfunction. Or be careful while updating, check what each update does. Ensure you dont update anything related to USB. I had issues when i updated, USB stopped working.

Thanks
Ramesh

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Problem lies with OS and not Nvidia as the customer support from nvida suggested. They provided better support than HP or Microsoft.

Thanks
Ramesh

In the four or five years Ive been reading up on these issues with Nvidia and the other fail customer support received in the PC business, you got to be the first person I've read about to say that. : )

Sorry this didn't help.