Unknown devices in Device Manager (tap0901)

Hello every one :)

I have a little problem with my computer, especially in the device manager.

1 week ago, I noticed some new devices appearing endlessly when rebooting in the "Network Adapters" section.

These were something like TAP-Windows Adapter V9 and TAP-Win32 Adapter OAS with a number at the end.

I had something like 6 of them.

I looked for this on the Internet, and learned that it was part of a VPN service.

Because I don't want any VPN, I uninstalled these devices, and to prevent them from reappearing, I also deleted the drivers.

Everything was fine when I rebooted, and I was happy.

2 days later, I deleted my account, to create a new one, Administrator this time (because I wanted a new account).

And NOW, I see a LOT of "Unknown devices" under the "Other devices" section, and some in "network adapters", and all of these cannot be deleted :(

When I look in their properties (Hardware ID's) it's written : tap0901 and in other sections, things like 'setupapi.dll -18" or "NetCfgx.dll" or "wlaninst.dll" ...

I joined 2 screenshot...

What is the problem ?

And above all, how to fix this ? :)

I didn't install anything and have already run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes (with heuristics and everything ticked), and they did not detect anything...

Thank you very much !!!! :)

Edit : I just installed OpenVPN, and removed it which allowed me to remove the devices by deleting them under the "other networks".

Still I cannot delete those in "network adapters" :/

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 66,240 Applies to:
Answer

Well, there was a service, recreating them on reboot, but a friend of mine (a computing engineer) made some changes in the registry, and cut a folder from system32, to paste it in a Temp folder (i assume some useless drivers and services), and since no devices are getting recreated in the Dev Manager on reboot and I only have 3 instances left of unknown devices, which are disabled :)

So thank you very much, I guess the problem is solved now :)

242 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.