Solved - Windows 8.1 Cannot detect Phone as mass storage device

SOLUTION FOUND - SEE FURTHER DOWN THIS POST

What The Problem Was
I have a samsung galaxy y phone gt-s5360

When I plug it into windows 8.1 via usb the pc can not detect it as a mass storage device - The phone bleeps as though usb connected but only shows it to be charging and no option to connect as mass storage in the status bar

When opening the device managment screen there are no new hardware detected and no unknown device or devices with a yellow triangle

However the pc can detect the phone if I set the phone to download mode (this is used to flash the phone with stock firmware via odin) and it installs the modem drivers

The latest usb drivers from samsung have been installed
Iv also tried installing samsung kies and installing drivers through there

The phone works fine as a mass storage device in windows 7 but windows 8.1 just doesnt see it as a mass storage

I have also downloaded and installed all available windows updates as of 14th jan 2014

Solution
Install the usb drivers for your phone as normal
connect the phone to pc via usb cable (nothing happens other then a few beeps as normal)
now plug in any usb dongle that you have already installed on your pc - like a usb wireless mouse dongle
suddenly windows detects the phone and you can now set your phone to mass storage from the phone status bar

Every time you want to connect your phone in mass storage just plug it in then plug in the other usb dongle after

Its definatly a usb plug and play problem with the samsung phone

problem now solved - a stupid way to force windows 8.1 to detect usb mass storage

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2020 Views 22,591 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Let’s check if you can access the files from Devices and Printers option. I would suggest you to follow the steps:

a. Press Windows key + X key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.
b. Select Control Panel.

c. Click Hardware and Sound
d. Click Devices and Printers.

e. Under Multimedia Devices, you should see your phone. If it is listed there, right click on it and you should see the menu browse files.

Also refer to this:  How do I transfer files, using USB Mass Storage mode, from my Samsung Galaxy Note™ to my Windows® PC?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=7383&prd_ia_cd=N0000003&map_seq=49567

If you face any further issues, you may reply to this post and we'll be happy to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

my phone will not be under multimedia devices beacuse the pc cannot detect it - its not displayed in device manager

also that link you gave me is to set usb to mass storage mode on phone

1- its for a different phone to mine
2- you only get that option when the phone is connected to pc and it has been successfully recognised

as iv explained - the pc does not recognise the device and there is no option to set mass storeage in statusbar when you connect the usb cable like normally happens in windows 7

Windows 8.1 can detect the phone if the phone is in download mode for flashing stock firmware but it cannot detect the phone when the phone is in normal mode for mass storage

Sorry this didn't help.

Take it no one has a solution then

I assume its a problem with the way windows 8.1 handles usb mass storage and that its different from windows 7

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

see next post for solution

Sorry this didn't help.

I have actually now found a solution

Solution
connect the phone to pc via usb cable (nothing happens other then a few beeps as normal)
now plug in any usb dongle that you have already installed on your pc - like a usb wireless mouse dongle
suddenly windows detects the phone and you can now set your phone to mass storage from the phone status bar

Every time you want to connect your phone in mass storage just plug it in then plug in the other usb dongle after

problem now solved - a stupid way to force windows 8.1 to detect usb mass storage

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you but my only problem is I have a dell venue 8 pro tablet and I use and org adapter so I can only plug in one device. If you have a solution for this way let me know. I need to get this working with Odin so I can root my phone. Thank you very much

Sorry this didn't help.

I have actually now found a solution

Solution

Thank you but my only problem is I have a dell venue 8 pro tablet and I use and otg adapter so I can only plug in one device. If you have a solution for this way let me know. I need to get this working with Odin so I can root my phone. Thank you very much

Sorry this didn't help.

My solution was for putting your phone into mass storage mode

odin is download mode

to use odin

instal samsung usb drivers
download odin 3.07
put phone into download mode (vol down home button power button)
connect phone to pc via usb cable
press vol up to start connection

once drivers have been installed or waiit a few secs if divers already installed
open odin

it will say com then a number in a coloured box under com:id on the left hand side if odin is connected

just so you know - if you have the same phone as me galaxy y gt-s5360 you do not root your phone via odin

most samsung phones I know you root your phone using an update zip in stock recovery or cwm - odin is used to flash stock firmware

Sorry this didn't help.

This method is working ,But can i have the permanent solution for this.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this solution after fruitlessly trying various things all day. It works!!! But only with a WIRELESS dongle as far as I have been able to ascertain. Flash Drives and USB mice do not do the trick. The mind boggles!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.