SOLVED: Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode)

I recently installed a USB 3.0-to-PCIe adapter card in my desktop PC. The USB 3.0 devices attached to the adapter are recognized by Windows and appear to be functioning correctly. Nevertheless, in Device Manager my USB 3.0 adapter is an Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode).

In Device Manager the Hardware ID is USB\VID_0000&PID_0008\6&2F6BE58&0&2 (The characters after PID_0008 are likely not relevant.) The Problem Code is 0000002B. The error code is 43 with the message: The SuperSpeed link to the USB device keeps going to an error state Compliance. If the device is removable, remove the device and then disable/enable from device manager to recover.

I have performed the following steps so far to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Attempted to update the driver by "Search[ing] automatically for updated driver software"  but "Windows has determined the driver software for [my] device is up to date."

2. Uninstalled the device and restarted my computer. This produced no improvement - problem still exists.

3. Ran the Windows Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter, but the Troubleshooter only suggests I "explore other options."

My USB 3.0 devices - portable hard drives - seem to be functioning correctly in that they are recognized by Windows and I can access data on the drives.

How can I clear the error in Device Manager?

EDIT: The problem was solved with information from this TechNet article. Specifically:

"If [updating the driver does] not resolve the problems with the device, and if the device is an external drive, such as a USB flash drive or external hard drive, use the taskbar icon to safely eject the device, then unplug the device from the computer."

Once I did this, Device Manager no longer reported a problem. I then re-connected my portable hard drive and Device Manager still did not report a problem. After restarting my PC, Device Manager still did not report a problem. Thus, my problem is solved.

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 54,723 Applies to:

Hi,

I really thank you for sharing the information and enlightening us with this issue.

It is good to note that your issue is resolved and the steps that you have updated, will certainly help other community members to get their similar issues resolved. You may also refer to the following Knowledge Base article to get further information on the error codes in Device Manager for your future reference.

Error codes in Device Manager in Windows

In addition to that, if you get any other recurring issues with Windows, please feel free to post back. We'll be glad to assist you again.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the same issue, as my usb ports dont work.

45 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This links to XP and no use for Windows 10

86 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same error caused by a an intel 3160 wifi/bluetooth mini pcie card.  I'm using an adapter to plug it into a regular pcie slot.  Windows update installed the wifi driver but not the bluetooth driver.  Installing the intel bluetooth driver for that card fixed my problem.  In case it's related to the adapter I'm using it's the SilverStone Technology Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Adapter with Dual Band (24GHz/5GHz) MIMO Antenna (ECWA1-LITE).

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I had same issues where driver didn't resolve this but followed your steps above to eject the drive and it is now working! 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

there is nothing plugged in my usb and the notifications persist

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Recently I switched my motherboard and did all cables connections right, but one of the usb3 cables connections was kind of too taut (tense) which was generating the mentioned error. (On top of that it was causing all my usb ports to be delayed after booting up for around 7 seconds). I found out by going to device manager and noticed that on of the Universal Serial Bus controllers, one of them was showing an alert as if it was not installed, so I uninstalled it and refreshed it or scanned for hardware changes to see if it was a driver issue but didn't work, so I opened the case and checked out all my cables and noticed that a usb3 cable was too tight or taut and was generating a connection problem.  I found a shorter way to connect the cable thru the motherboard to relax the tension of the cable, and the issue was fixed.

Hopefully my post help anyone there... 

Sorry this didn't help.