Slow Wifi Internet Problem in Only 1 laptop

I have this problem in my Laptop Lenovo G50-70 with regards to my Internet specifically its wifi capability. My internet is slow when I am using wifi compared to the other devices(Android Phones, Tablets, Other laptops, PC) connected to the same router. However the internet is fine if I hard wired my laptop to the router. I did update my driver for my laptop's wireless card however it is not helping the case. Can You help me with this please. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2019 Views 1,151 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

In order to assist you further with the issue could you please confirm a couple of things :

1. Which browser are you using to connect to Internet? Do you get any error message when you try to connect to Internet?
  2. How many devices are connected to the network?
  3. Have you made any software/ hardware changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I would like to inform you that the Internet Service Provider provides a specific bandwidth for the Internet connection and it is shared by all the devices connected to the network. So, normally when a device is added to the wireless network, the existing bandwidth is again shared by it which will decrease the speed of the Internet Connection. If you have multiple devices connected, then disconnect all of them and only connect your desktop computer and check the Internet speed on the computer. Nevertheless, I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if this helps:

Method 1: Run the “Internet Connection and Network Adapter troubleshooter” to diagnose the exact issue. Follow the steps below and check if this helps:

1. Press “Windows Key + W”.
  2. Type “Troubleshooting” in the search box and hit enter.
  3. Select “Network and Internet” option.
  4. First select “Internet connections” troubleshooter.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. Then select “Network Adapter” troubleshooter and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Browser add-ons also cause performance problems.

Browser add-ons are programs, such as multimedia add-ons, search bars, or other programs that usually appear on your browser's toolbar. Many browser add-ons can add to a rich browsing experience, offering multimedia or specialized document viewing. However, some add-ons can slow your Internet connection. If you suspect that add-ons are causing slow performance, try starting Internet Explorer in Add-ons disabled mode. Add-ons are disabled only for the session, but if you find your performance improves, you can use Manage Add-ons to turn them off permanently. Refer to the link below and check if this helps:

Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply Ms. Mendez. I was able to find solution to my problem. All I did was to set a new password to my router and then it gave me back the speed I was looking for. I don't know what made it work though. However if the problem comes back again then I'll try what you are suggesting. Also, your reply might answer some people who has similar problems to mine.  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark,

Thank for the update and glad that you were able to get the issue resolved. Please do post any queries you may have in the future regarding ?Windows. We will be glad to help. 

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.