SD storage cards not getting detected error Code 10

Original Title: Windows 8.1 SD storage issues

I just bought an Asus Transformer T100TA Tablet running Windows 8.1 and I am having issues with my MicroSD card slot.

I have 2 MicroSD cards: an 8 GB Sandisk SDHC and a 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC.

Both cards are only recognized after restarting the tablet.  When recognized, transfer speed is unreliable and slow.  After properly ejecting either card, neither card is recognized when inserted.  Device manager shows a code 10 error in the SD Storage Class Controller that is created.  The error reads 'The I/O device reported an I/O error'.

I have tried the 'Hardware Troubleshooting' wizard and there are no driver updates for the SD Storage Class Controller.  I have also ensured the Intel SD Host Controller driver is up-to-date and properly functioning.

The ONLY way to force Windows to start the SD Storage Class Controller properly is to reinstall the Intel SD Host Controller driver.  I do not feel this is the issue, however, because installing the generic 'SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller' driver instead presents the same slow speeds and SD Storage Class Controller issues.

Thanks for your help

Answer
Answer

Hi Josh,

Code 10 error code for a specific device under Device, in spite of reinstalling or updating drivers, might occur device configuration issues. The Code 10 error is mainly related to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues for the device with the operating system.

Refer to the section “Common resolutions for Code 10 error” and then “Troubleshooting methods for Code 10 error

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/en-us  

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, you can refer to the following steps to back the registry files on the computer:

a)            Press Windows and R key to open the run box.

b)            Type ‘regedit’ and press Enter from the keyboard.

c)            Open the file option on the menu bar.

d)            Click on Export and save the file with a name on the desktop.

If you want to restore the file, you can do so by double clicking the file that you have saved on the desktop.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to refer to the manufacturer website to download and install the latest chipset driver for Windows 8.1. Refer to

Please let us know about the results. We will be glad to assist you further.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 18,358 Applies to: