Printer spooler won't start at startup - Windows 8.1

Hi,

Problem started with trying to add a home network printer. I get the error message "Windows can't open Add Printer. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper."

Each time I boot the PC I have to go to Services and start the Printer Spooler, and then I can add printers, and print, but after a reboot I have to repeat this action again.

The Printer Spooler is set to automatic, but like I say it won't start automatically.

I also checked out the c:\\windows\system32\spool\printers folder but it was empty. (deleting all files in this folder has been offered as a solution)

Has anyone worked this one out yet? There seems to be a few people suffering the same issue.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2019 Views 77,580 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

SOLUTION!!!  This worked for me and I have tested it over and over again.

"As suspected by many, the problem is Kaspersky related.
I found a solution: download kavremvr.exe (Kaspersky Lab Products Remover), run the program, select "<Remove all known products>" and then click on "Remove".
Restart the computer, wait, do not panic, the first reboot is slow.
On the first reboot, still the spooler will not restart automatically.
Again, restart the computer, everything should be ok now."

I originally had Kaspersky antivirus installed from the manufacturer which I removed thru add / remove programs back when I had windows 8.  I guess not everything was removed when I originally uninstalled it.  You must do the 2nd restart as described above for it to work.  I found this solution on another thread while searching different keywords trying to get answers. 

74 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.