Printer driver fix for Windows 8.1 and a Lexmark ink-jet printer P4350

1. I have recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 8.1.
2. installed my printer disc to connect a perfectly good P4350 model Lexmark ink-jet printer to it.
3. For about a week or so it worked fine - one or two glitches in formatting but nothing bad.
4. After getting a few automatic Windows updates for my laptop the printer functionality no longer worked - most bizarre but kept getting error message that the "printer port" was not correct and needed re-configuring and Lexmark's printer prompt solution was to download & install new driver. THIS WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END.!!
5. After about 20 attempts to download & install new driver - the printer still didn't work.
6. Eventually rang - yes rang Lexmark (big mistake) and was told that:
(a) Lexmark don't have a driver that makes their printer compatible with Windows 8.1. (even though their printer prompt tells you to)
(b) Lexmark don't make ink-jet printers any more.
(c) There is no simple "fix/patch" that I can add to my downloaded driver to connect my printer and get it to run - even though the downloaded driver shows all the functionality has been downloaded ie., size, colour options.

Does any IT GURU know of a simple "fix" to resolve this as I don't want to discard a perfectly good printer.

Hi,

The problem is that Lexmark supplies the Drivers for their Products, not Microsoft.

And Computer, Printer and other Computer hardware manufacturer's reach the stage where they stop trying to write Drivers for each newer Operating System that Microsoft releases.

Lexmark stopped supplying Drivers for that model Printer with Vista.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for information - yes I appreciate your comments but 'Hope' that there might be some super guru who has found a work-around to thwart this frustrating situation, I am sure I am not the only one who is up against this type of problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What it means is that it is time to upgrade the Printer.

That Printer was released to use with Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

What it comes down to is simple good business practice.

If Lexmark and others continue to write Drivers software for a 15yo Printer, they go out of business.

Instead of that they manufacture new Printers which are better and smarter and keeps them in business.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with your specific model, but this is what worked for my X5340, which is a USB printer... no wireless.... Where my notes mention unhooking the printer, you may also need to turn yours completely off if it has a wireless connection... or turn off the wireless...

You may be better off with the original drivers.. the newer ones for my printer had no FAX drivers...

1) Turn on and hook up your printer... This needs to be done just this one time to get it to show up in Devices and Printers... Otherwise, all I get with my machine is the Lexmark Fax, and as a result, you can't "Remove" the printer.

2) Once the printer is visible in Devices and Printers, unhook it..

3) "REMOVE" the Lexmark Printer and Lexmark Fax (if you have one) in Devices and Printers.

If you have a Fax, Remove it first... You may need to close Devices and Printers, then reopen it, 

for the changes to appear

4) Stop the Print Spooler. The "Print Spooler" can be found in Control Panel... Administrative Tools... SERVICES...

5) Uninstall the software\drivers... In the process of doing this, I got a popup Security message from Windows Firewall concerning "Allowing" Printer Communication...  I unchecked "SHARED" on the 1st message and the 2nd I selected "Allow".

6) At the prompt from the Lexmark uninstaller, Reboot.

7) After rebooting, stop the Print Spooler again.

8) Reinstall software\drivers... I used both XP SP3 and Vista Compatibility Mode on different attempts, and both worked... Hook the printer back up when prompted by the installer.

Before steps 9 + 10, check to see if Bidirectional support is Enabled... It may already be, and if so, skip to Step #11.

9) Unhook the printer again and reboot. Bidirectional Support must be Enabled, and the setting won't stick if the printer is hooked up.. You need to reboot to clear things up before the next step.

10) Enable Bidirectional Support and Reboot. To do this, go to Devices and Printers and select "Printer Properties" and then the "PORTS" tab... The check box is near the bottom.

11) Set any Printer Preferences you use, if any, and it's ready to go.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2018 Views 319 Applies to: