No files in Local Disk D: but there's still remaining used space. Help!

For the past few days my Local Disk D: doesn't have any files in it, then I just noticed today that 8.83GB of memory were used. When I checked the disk, there were no files in it. I tried cleaning it and I even scanned it if there's a virus but it only showed that the disk is clean. I also tried the "show hidden files" option but I still don't see any files in the disk. Should I be concerned? 

Is it safe if I just use ccleaner's "Drive Wipe"?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I understand that the disk usage shows that some space is being used while there are no files on the computer.

This usually occurs if you had some files on the disk and you deleted those files, or moved to the recycle bin.

Please note that deleting the files simply moves the file to Recycle bin, while the disk space will be used till the file remains in Recycle bin. If you have any such files that were deleted from the drive please delete it from recycle bin to regain lost space.

This could also occur if you have set a paging file for the drive.

Please check if you have set a paging file limit for your drive and remove it to regain the disk space.

Follow the steps provided by Thahaseena M on December 7, 2010 from the link below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/paging-file-error/afaf2703-c235-492b-9967-feed8df8c1b7

Though the steps are for Windows 7, but it will work in Windows 8 as well.

Hope it helps, do get back to us if you need further assistance with Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 590 Applies to: