'NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE' problem after running an app with external graphic card option.

Hello,
I use Dell Inspiron 5458 laptop running on Windows 8.1 pro (64-bit).Its has an intel i3 processor and has 4gb RAM.My laptop has two graphics card,Intel 5500(internal) and Nvidia Geforce 920M(external).Both of them have up-to-date drivers.First of all I cannot change the default graphics card.I tried many ways but none helped.The primary problem is that I'm unable to run any app by using my external graphic cards.Actually at the very beginning when i brought my laptop,it was windows 10.Running apps with Nvidia geforce 920M made a blue screen to appear then I changed to operating system to windows 8.1 and nothing changed except the blue screen pops up it a message 'nmi_hardware_failure'.I forgot the message of Windows 10.My Nvidia graphics card driver is '365.19'.And my laptop has DirectX 11.Looking forward for your help.Thank you.  

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2018 Views 155 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi SheikhShafiqul,

A variety of hardware malfunctions can cause the NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE bug check. For further information, refer to the article:

NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE error when an NMI is triggered on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

If issue persists, try to remove the drivers, please try the steps provided below to uninstall the device from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. 

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand the Display Adapter section.
  • Find the Display card Driver.
  • Right click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
  • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
  • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
  • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
  • Find the Display card Driver.
  • Right click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
  • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Step 3:

Download and install the latest drivers for the Display card from the manufacturer website

Dell Drivers

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with the information required, current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.