Microsoft LifeCam Studio recognized as "WebCam" in Devices and Printers. Does not work for any application. How can I repair this?

This product had worked perfectly well in the past. However, within the past few months, driver issues began to plague my computer. All of a sudden, things either stopped working or would begin working spontaneuously with each boot. Normally, the LifeCam Studio would not be recognized at all, but the issue would fix itself after a reboot. The problem at hand seems to be different, because rebooting the computer is not working, and because the computer is recognizing the camera, but in a manner that is does not work. I have tried changing USB ports and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, but I always end up with the default 'WebCam" under Devices and Printers.

Hi Ramzor,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me ask you;

1. Do other USB devices connect with the system and function properly?
  2. Did you make any specific change in the computer prior to the issue?
  3. Where did you install the drivers from?
  4. What is the make and model of the computer?
  5. Which app or program do you run to use the LifeCam Studio?

The LifeCam Studio would show up as a webcam in the Devices and Printers window. However, the issue might arise, if the webcam drivers are corrupt or incompatible or due to an issue with the USB ports.

So, in order to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press the ‘Windows + C’ to activate the charms menu or move the mouse pointer to bottom right corner of the screen and you will get the charms menu.
b) Click on ‘search’ and select ‘settings’ and type ‘Troubleshooting’ and select ‘troubleshooting’.
c) Click on ‘Hardware and Sound’ and select ‘Hardware and Devices’ and click on next to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

Reinstall the webcam drivers and software from the following link:

LifeCam Studio

Restart the computer and check if it helps.

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 3:

If the webcam does nor work when you run a specific app like Camera app, Skype etc., then I would suggest you to run the App Troubleshooter to diagnose and troubleshoot issues with the specific app and check if it helps.

Refer to the article for more information:

What to do if you have problems with an app

Additional information:

What if a wired device isn't installed properly?

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need further assistance on the issue, we'll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much for responding.

1. All other USB devices seem to work properly. I haven't ran into any problems with other USB devices.

2. I have not made changes directly before this issue arose, the last was likely a full month prior.

3. I downloaded the LifeCam Studio driver from here.

4. The computer was custom built with an Intel Core i5 3570K CPU and an AMD Radeon HD 7870 GPU.

5. I normally use the LifeCam for Skype, but I test the device with Camera as well (Windows Tile).

In the past, the LifeCam Studio was shown with an accurate icon and was labeled as is under Devices and Printers. Once it stopped working, I noticed that the icon changed into a generic webcam icon, and the name was changed from "LifeCam Studio" to "WebCam".

Method 1:

Problems found

Hardware changes might not have been detected

Method 2:

I reinstalled the webcam drivers as instructed to no avail.

I also changed the Windows Update settings to automatically install updates, and installed optional updates, however the camera still does not work with Skype (desktop) and Camera (tile). I have not tried the webcam with any other app.

Thanks again for your support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again.

I've noticed that the LifeCam Studio Firmware Update (EXE) provided by your link may not be installing the drivers properly. The installer seems to go through an infinite loop.

After clicking next through the pages, following the instructions, and accepting the agreement, I am brought to a page with The firmware needs to be updated at the top. I make sure all applications are closed and that the webcam is plugged in before clicking next. A screen with a green loading bar follows. When it is finished loading, another page opens with Your webcam is updated at the top, asking me to unplug the webcam for 5 seconds and then plug it back in for the changes to take effect. I do so and click "next" at the bottom of the page. Now, the updater takes me back to the page with The firmware needs to be updated at the top, creating the loop. Could this be part of the problem? Is this working properly?

Thanks again for any support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

• Who is the maker of the motherboard?

I would request you to contact the maker of the motherboard and check if any update is required since it is custom built machine.

Kindly keep us updated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again.

My motherboard is manufactured by ASRock. I sent them an email asking if any updates arose since the date of my initial installation. They haven't replied yet, bu it seems that something else may have caused this issue.

I continued to search around the web for others who bumped into a similar problem, and I found the following Microsoft Support page: Lifecam Studio stopped working after firmware upgrade?!?

It turns out that many other people have bumped into such a LifeCam failure before, and after reading the final post of the question (which was posted by a Microsoft Employee), I am quite confident that our issues align.

The post is as follows:

Hello all,

For those of you posting about your LifeCam failing after applying a firmware update, let me apologize for the experience.  This firmware update may have failed if the LifeCam was attached to the PC through a USB Hub device when the firmware update was attempted.  If this was the cause for your issue, you would have seen the following message when installing the update: 

“The update failed. DO NOT unplug your webcam. Verify that your webcam’s USB plug is firmly seated in the USB port on your computer, and try again.”

For customers that have a LifeCam that no longer works after a firmware update, we ask that you contact the Microsoft Supplemental Parts team at the contact numbers below:

United States: (800) 360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

Canada: (800) 933-4750, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

TTY customers: Contact Microsoft at (800) 718-1599, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

If you are outside the US or Canada please visit http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/support/contact-us  to find contact numbers in your region.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, it was clear that the firmware update failed multiple times. The webcam, I am absolutely certain, is in mint physical condition. I remember updating (attempting to update, really) the webcam in the past, after which the periodic failures began.

I continue to doubt that the issue lies within my motherboard because every other USB (and non-USB) device has worked flawlessly, but I will continue to heed your advice regardless and wait for a response. If the search for a solution here reaches a standstill, I will heed the advice of the Forum Moderator posted above.

Thank you again for all of the support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello...I'm having the same problem with my Lifecam studio. When I am trying to stream live on a site my cam would all a sudden stop working, also a system notification would go off ( the sound windows makes when you unplug a device ) It's as if i unplugged my cam. And then i would go to another USB port... works for a few min, Then ... DOOO DOOT the cam stops!!!!  Yes i would have to Reboot or install over and over blah blah blah.... BUT i think i might know what's going on with that problem.

I went to the task bar where your battery icon is right click and select POWER OPTIONS then CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS then CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS then expand USB SETTINGS.... there is a option to enable/disable to "USB selective suspend setting" I disabled mine( it was enabled when i had all the problems) 

What that setting does is,Allows the computer to turn off the device to save power. 

So try it out and see if it helps and let me know!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

IN REPLY TO "This product had worked perfectly well in the past. However, within the past few months, driver issues began to plague my computer. "

Hello...I'm having the same problem with my Lifecam studio. When I am trying to stream live on a site my cam would all a sudden stop working, also a system notification would go off ( the sound windows makes when you unplug a device ) It's as if i unplugged my cam. And then i would go to another USB port... works for a few min, Then ... DOOO DOOT the cam stops!!!!  Yes i would have to Reboot or install over and over blah blah blah.... BUT i think i might know what's going on with that problem.

I went to the task bar where your battery icon is right click and select POWER OPTIONS then CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS then CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS then expand USB SETTINGS.... there is a option to enable/disable to "USB selective suspend setting" I disabled mine( it was enabled when i had all the problems) 

What that setting does is,Allows the computer to turn off the device to save power. 

So try it out and see if it helps and let me know!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Karolina,

Thank you for sharing the information with us.

Your response will sure help others in this community facing similar issues.

Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2024 Views 2,656 Applies to: