Intel Graphics Driver Crashes and Restarts

The Windows 8.1 upgrade has installed version 9.14.3.1160 of the Intel graphics driver on my Clover Trail tablet (a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2).

This driver often (8 times out of 10?) crashes when the tablet comes out of Connected Standby. In the System Event log, a warning "Display driver igdkmd32 stopped responding and has successfully recovered" with the ID 4101 is recorded each time this occurs.

Occasionally, the driver fails to restart and a hard reboot is necessary.

Looking around the manufacturers' support forums, I see this issue being reported on other brands of Intel Clover Trail tablets, so it is not a Lenovo issue, but rather a Microsoft/Intel issue.

When is a new driver expected that will fix this issue?

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 11,725 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Any further info on this?  Bit disappointing the fix wasn't included.

Downgrading the display drivers mostly fixes things, but the same problem occurs sometimes with the unit plugged into a charger.  Plus, it's a dodgy hack anyway, a real fix would be nice.

Cheers,
Jason
Hi Jason and all others .-)

Yes there are news - but no final solution.
Microsoft rolled out an new Atom Display driver out via Windows Update today.
The version number counter has updated to 9.14.3.1176.

It seems to be more stable (less crashed display driver messages) but the resume from hibernation problem still exists. You'll still have a blank screen when resume from hibernation and disconnected the tablet part from dock before pushing the power button.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been running the older 9.14.3.1130 driver (successfully) on my ThinkPad Tablet 2, but decided to let Windows go ahead and install the new driver (9.14.3.1176).

Early days, but at the moment, the 1176 driver has not yet crashed on coming out of Connected Standby.

I have also not yet seen any corrupted screens (just to be clear, I didn't get this on the 1130 driver either).

When I switch to the Start Screen, there seems to be an occasional slight hesitation in horizontal scrolling the first time I scroll, but this passes after the first scroll action. 

BTW, I'm not sure what your reference to "Hibernation" is. These Clover Trail tablets should not be using either the S3 (Sleep) or the S4 (Hibernation) states. They should only be either Active or in Connected Standby. For more info, see the revised Microsoft Whitepaper:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj248729.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

i have a Lenovo lynx and Don't get the 1176 offered neither by Windows update nor by Driver update...

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually I just checked and there was a windows update referencing this and it seemed to fix it for me now.  Dell Latitude 10 win8.1 32bit.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I see that Intel has officially stated that the new 1176 driver is to fix the crash issue on Clover Trail tablets:

https://communities.intel.com/message/212976#21297

Sorry this didn't help.

Heyoh!!!  Since others Have been reporting updated drivers I've been checking Windows Update and Device Manager driver update every day, but no such luck. 

... until tonight. Windows Update didn't have any updates available, but an updated driver installed after I searched for a new driver in the Device Manager on the desktop. Now I have display driver version 9.14.3.1177 on my Asus Vivotab Smart (ME400C2).  This literally just happened so I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it, but initial indications are good. It's resumed instantly from standby so far. If you don't hear back from me, consider it fixed. Good luck to the rest of you. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, definitely fixed for me.  The issue I was getting on the downgraded driver when charging is also gone.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just found that my Asus ME400C has received an updated driver which seems to resolve this issue.

The new driver is version 9.14.3.1177, dated 11/15/2013.

Rick

Rick Hogan
Hogan's Systems Consulting, LLC
www.Hogans-Systems.com

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found this solution on ASUS VivoTab Smart, but might works for others too (same chipset):

1. Download this: http://sdrv.ms/H55W5F (I have extracted this from the Asus Vivotab Smart driver package, which somehow forgets to install it)
  2. Disable automatic driver install like here: http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos/HOW5006661B.htm
  3. Go to Device Manager, remove the graphics driver, check the delete driver files checkbox (if you were succesfull a Generic Microsoft Display Adapter will appear, and the interface becomes laggy, also I had to repeat this multiple times, as multiple intel drivers were installed)
  4. Install the downloaded driver through the Device Manager
  5. ???
  6. Profit

Crashes and glitches are all gone now.

Works for me. Thanks
works for me 2. thanks alot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for this, it was a life saver. Been trying to figure out a lot of problems with my ASUS VivoTab Smart since upgrading to W10 and mysteriously losing my recovery drive. The display driver issue was the last one to figure out.

For the record, this solution works for Windows 10 on the VivoTab Smart. I tested it using YouTube and a few other apps that were giving me problems and so far so good.

This also seemed to have resolved the problems I was having with the Windows Store App, Edge Browser and similar apps having some menu buttons not showing up on screen (they are there but you couldn't see them.)

Sorry this didn't help.