How to permanently disable HP ENVY laptop touchpad -- Windows 8.1

Can temporarily disable touchpad using control panel but it is enabled next time I power up the laptop.

How can I disable it permanently?

Answer
Answer

My HP uses a Synaptics Touchpad, and disabling the driver installation at boot would probably work.

In my TouchSmart it was even easier than that.  Synaptics has a tab in Mouse Properties and then you can Enable and Disable the Touchpad in there.  However, my TouchSmart also has a physical switch at the top of Touchpad, so using that is even easier and more reliable.   ; )

What I had started looking at is controlling devices using WMIC.  If that idea could work even if the device is getting re-enabled (how?) we could put the WMIC command into Startup and control it that way.

In fact, the how? question could be investigated by running ProcMon for its Boot Logging option.

But the really dumb thing to disable is the Tap to click option.  That shows up when the Synaptics icon is in the Notification area and right-click is done on it.   What were they thinking?  They don't even have a visual touch indicator so how can anyone know what they  would be "tapping" on?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

There may be something in your Startup tab in Taskmanager that you can disable...

My HP uses a Synaptics Touchpad, and disabling the driver installation at boot would probably work.

There may also be something for it in SERVICES, but disabling in either one usually effects both.

There is also a good possibility that you can disable\turn it off, in your BIOS options.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2022 Views 9,166 Applies to: