How to install Catalyst-legacy driver in Windows 8.1? AMD ATI HD 4200
Hi, my GPU is AMD ATI Raden HD 4200, and I installed the legacy beta driver 13.04 (and 13.01), and it does not install, I reboot the pc and it still continues using the driver that comes by default, it is known that amd leave legacy driver users to our
own luck :/, this driver works great with windows 8, so, any help will be great.
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
I had the same problem, fixed it with the following steps:
- Install all components of the driver normally (Catalyst Control Center etc.)
-> The graphics driver itself will fail - you need to install it manually using the Device Manager!
- Open the Device Manager (right click on Start-Icon in left corner), go to "Graphics Card"
- Right click on the card and select "Update driver..." from the context menu (first entry)
- Click on "Search for a driver on the computer" (second entry)
- Click "Select driver from list"
- Click on the "Device..." button in the right corner
- Select the driver file (*.inf) from the extracted ATI folder. In my case, this was C:\AMD\Support\13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF.
There are a few different files, it seems the dialog will choose the right one if you simple select one of them... TRY IT FIRST! Otherwise you could try to read the .inf files (they are just plain text files - maybe you'll find your chipset in there...
- Click on OK, the dialog will now show one or two entries, which should have the name of your graphics card - select one of them
- Click on Next - the screen(s) will go black and flicker, you will hear the device connection/disconnection sounds several times. Don't worry, everythings works as intended! :)
- The driver should now be ready - restart your system, and you should now be able to control your graphics settings using the Catalyst Control Center.
- Tip: Save this trick somewhere, it will save you lots of headaches the next time you need to install windows! I figured it out painfully at least twice! :)
30 people found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for your feedback.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.