How to disable Write protection on a drive?

I have a windows 8.1 pro and I am trying to find out a way to disable write protect any suggestions?
|
Answer
Answer

Hello Kavs,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community forum.

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

1. For which drive do you want to disable write protection?
2. Are you trying to format a drive?

Write protection means that the drive is protected against write operations. It only allows to read and copy data from that drive, but unable to write or delete any content of the drive. Write protection is a protective element that will prevent accidental deletion of important data.

If you are trying to disable write protection on a USB flash drive, I would suggest you to try following steps and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows + R keys, type regedit in run window and press Enter.

If user account control message appears, click yes.

b. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Note: If the registry key "StorageDevicePolicies" does not exist, you need to create it manually. Follow these steps:

1) Right click under "Control", click "Key" and name it as "StorageDevicePolicies".
2) Click "StorageDevicePolicies", Right click in the right hand pane, click "New", click "D-WORD(32 bit)" and name it as "WriteProtect".

c. Double click "WriteProtect", change the value under "Value data" to 0 and click ok.

d. Close registry editor and restart the computer.

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/322756

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2020 Views 862 Applies to: