How do I get installed printers to display in Devices and Printers?

I have multiple printers installed; network, LPT1, and USB.  None show up in Devices and Printers.

Printers do show up under admin => printer management.

All software/drivers are installed and working fine.

I'm using Win 8.1 X64.  I've had this problem since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Answer
Answer

Hello Mark,

As per your description, I understand that your network printers are not showing up under devices and printers on control panel. I will certainly help you with the issue. However, we need few more details to understand the cause of the issue better.

1. Have you recently made any changes on your computer, prior to the issue?

2. What is the make and model of your printers? 

3. Is there any Windows Update which has been failed recently?

Note: To know the KB numbers of the failing updates, follow the underlying steps:
  1. Press Windows + C to open Charms bar.

2. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

3. In the left pane, click View update history.

As of now, I recommend you to go through the following methods:

Method 1:

Boot the computer in a Clean Boot state and check the status. A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue. 

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup. 

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest to go through the article based on, "Fix printer problems".

If issue continues, please perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. 

After performing SFC scan please follow the steps to install pending available Windows Updates.

1. Press Windows + C to open charms bar, type Windows Update in the Search box, then click Windows Update in the results pane.
  2. Click Check for Updates. After the scan is complete, click Review optional updates.
  3. Click the check box next to the updates, then click Install updates.
  4. If prompted, review the license agreement, then click I Accept.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the updates. If prompted, reboot your computer.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Shivam Kesarwani

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2022 Views 11 Applies to: