Question

Q: How can I replace the Microsoft HW compatability drivers with Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus drivers?

I am trying to move my Microtek Scanmaker i800 Plus (LED) scanner from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 8.1. I have tried both the original install CD and the latest, supposedly compatible drivers (drv_swez_v2_140_ad.exe) from the Microtek support website. I have tried various combinations of compatibility Mode/Run as Administrator, etc., to get the drivers installed. While the software itself installs OK, it can't find the scanner. In looking at Devices and Printers at the "4800_ULed" properties, I find in every case that the device drivers listed for the scanner are the Microsoft Hardware compatibility drivers, ksthunk.sys, usbscan.sys, and MSM78W2.dll. I'm pretty sure that this is why I can't get the scanner to work. The 8.1 "Scan" app could see the scanner but got an error when it tried to do a preview scan, so that's not an option, and I even uninstalled the app in case it was getting in the way of the Microtek software. That didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to get the proper drivers associated with the scanner, or can someone suggest another way around this problem? I'm looking at a $500 paperweight right now!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If the issue persists even after system restore, you may use the following fixit to remove the entries related to scanner software.

Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I did run this utility and it marked the status as "Fixed", but in looking at the registry I still see a mix of entries from various install attempts, so I'm doubtful that it really helped all that much. I will try an install again now and hope for the best, but it's looking like I may have to (try to) restore to an earlier date before I started messing with this stuff. I really don't want to do that because it's uncertain that it will work, and if it does work it will be a lot of trouble to bring the system back up to date.

I will post again after I've tried the reinstall. I should also mention that I did not see any utility option that related specifically to scanner software.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried the reinstall again tonight, with no success. Well, it installs, but I get messages like "Scanner is not ready" or similar. Other error codes I have received are "-1003, scanner abort" and a Code 1 error. I have also tried driver update utilities, which did not find a problem. I think the registry entries are so messed up that it may be impossible to fix them, unless you are a MS developer. I am not convinced that Microtek has actually seen this scanner work on Win 8.1 (they say they have) and I see what look to me like file size and naming discrepancies in the SYSTEM32 and SYSWOW64 directories. I also note that the registry editor, even when running in Administrator mode, can not or will not, allow deletion of product keys for Microtek that have no apparent relation to anything else, which is frustrating.

I have sent an email to Microtek support asking them if they would at least verify the file name and file size for the MSM78W2.dll in SYSTEM32 (or is it the MSM78w.dll file in SYSWOW64?) but their documentation and support has not helped much so far. I suspect there may be a language problem (not native English speakers?) or else they may be so swamped with problems they are far behind. Microsoft should be helping these people even if they don't ask for help! If all else fails, I will have to put this scanner back on my old Windows XP system - I just won't be able to connect it to the internet safely, since support has been dropped. This kind of problem with compatibility is surely one reason so many users have hung on to XP for so long. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for hardware manufacturers - they've had a good long time now to develop drivers for the latest Windows versions.

It looks like my next try will be to standalone restore Win 8.1 to a known good state with my ShadowProtect image backup, bring it up to a current state, and back it up again, before trying once more, hopefully with a better idea of WHAT to try, to install scanner drivers. 

Sorry this didn't help.

As fixit also failed to remove all the entries, perform system restore to the date prior to installing the Microtek Scanmaker drivers.

You may refer to the following instructions to perform System Restore.

• Press ‘Windows Key + R’

• In the run window type ‘rstrui.exe’ and click on OK

• Click on next in the System Restore windows

• Now choose the restore point of your choice, and try to restore your computer back to earlier state.

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 739 Last updated: February 20, 2018 Applies to: