Fn buttons not working in Samsung Ativ Book 6

Hello, I've got a Samsung Ativ Book 6 (model NP670Z5E-XD1BR) that came with an original Windows 8.
I decided to do a fresh Win 8.1 install instead of upgrading it, since some people got issues with that. After installing Windows 8.1 and using Samsung software (SW Update) every driver seemed to work just fine, EXCEPT for the Fn buttons, they are not working at all. This is really bad because I can't change the screen brightness, second screen support, and can't even turn on the backlight of my keyboard.

I've then installed Samsung Support, wich tells me that the Fn keys aren't working properly, and suggests me to open SW Update and install Samsung Settings software. The catch is: there is NO Samsung Settings for Windows 8.1 at all, it just doesn't appear as an option of download.

Could somebody please give some instructions about what to do? Or if someone actually have the software installer and could send me (I've searched for it but haven't found). I even tried to install back Windows 8 but since the laptop came with an OEM Windows 8, the serial key is stored in the BIOS and it doesn't match to the new copy I've got (so I can't install it at all, stuck in Win 8.1).

Any help would be aprecciated.
Thanks

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2019 Views 5,274 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Found the solution!

1. Run SW Update in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

2. Install Settings app. (Don't install the rest via compatibility mode, they might not work in Windows 8.1)

3. Restart Windows

Now it works. Settings starts and all Fn keys are working.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Nevermind! I've tested what you told and I'm very, very happy to say it worked! Your simple advice did much more than all the Samsung support. Thanks, man.

M.Absy, have you tried exactly what he told? Is your laptop the same model? Worked pretty well for me.

Also, it's kind of absurd that in Windows 8 compatibility mode, SW Update shows me a LOT more of good software to update. Haven't Samsung made these softwares 8.1 compatible or are they just lazy? Shame on you, Samsung.

Thanks everyone for the help. This topic is definetly solved.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.