Error 1079 on starting Bluetooth Support Service service

I'm using Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop, preinstalled with Windows 8. I then upgraded to Windows 8.1. But the Bluetooth is not working. On searching through various forums, I found that Bluetooth Support Service service needs to be started and running. It was set to Automatic, but not running. I tried starting it, I get this error. Further, I tried changing the Log On credentials to my specific account, removed the password, then clicked Apply. I got a message as the user has been authenticated. I restarted the PC, but no success. Again, I tried with Local Account, still no success.

The same error message, Error 1079, is displayed on every step I tried. Bluetooth was working fine with Windows 8. First time when I upgraded, I had this issue and hence reverted to Windows 8. But as Microsoft mandated Windows 8.1 upgrade recently, I need to do that.

I tried Changing the account name to Local Service and the service starts and runs. But still I'm unable to use the Bluetooth. In most of the forums posts I found that the account name must be of the user name. But if my username is selected, the error is displayed.

I'm currently logged in online account.

Due to this issue, I'm unable to use Bluetooth.

How can I fix this issue?

NOTE: I tried reinstalling the drivers, which is also not successful, although the drivers are compatible with Windows 8.1. So kindly do not suggest this again.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2019 Views 32,754 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Dear Rangarajan,

I don't know if you have solved this issue but I had same on my Dell Inspiron 3521 and this simple solution from this forum worked

1. Click Start, type "Services.msc” in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER,
2. Locate and double click the Bluetooth support service.
3. Click the Log On tab,
4. In the This account text box, type “NT AUTHORITY\LocalService”,
5. Set both Password fields blank,
6. Click Apply and then OK,
7. Restart the service and check.

You should totally try it.

Cheers!

169 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Rangarajan,

Please answer this question to get more clarity on this issue.

-          What is the error message you get while trying to use the Bluetooth device?

This issue might occur due to several reasons like software or hardware driver incompatibility, missing updates, broken drivers etc.

The issue may occur if the service is started by the Local System account instead of by the Local Service account (NT AUTHORITY\LocalService). The Local System account may have insufficient permissions to start the service.

Set the service and any dependent services to run under the NT AUTHORITY\LocalService account.

Let us follow these methods and check if this helps:

Method 1.

Recommend you to refer to the steps provided by “Bennet Martin” from this thread to set the service and any dependent services to run under the NT AUTHORITY\LocalService account.: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/error-1079-the-account-specified-for-this-service/4cd3a470-7cd5-4f16-a023-55623719345a

Method 2.

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which checks the hardware on the computer for any known issues and provides the details on how to fix them.

Plug in the device and follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

Click on “Hardware and Devices”.

Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Article for reference:

Why isn't Windows finding my wireless device?: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

Method 3.

Turn on the Bluetooth enabled device and then make it discoverable. Methods for making it discoverable can vary widely depending on the device. To learn how to make a Bluetooth enabled device discoverable, check the info that came with your device or go to the manufacturer’s website.

If your device has a wireless switch, make sure it’s turned on. The switch could be on the front, back, or side, and it could be small and unmarked. Check the info that came with your device to see if a picture shows where it’s located.

Method 4.

Usually after an update to a newer version some drivers or devices may not work as expected. This issue may occur as the computer may need the latest version of updates or drivers.

Drivers are updated occasionally. Windows can update them automatically, or you can install the updated drivers yourself. It's important for you to have confidence in the updated drivers you install. Windows notifies you if it detects a suspicious or unsafe driver you shouldn't install.

Download and install drivers: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/all-drivers

Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-update-faq

On the Dell website there are updated drivers for Bluetooth devices. Click here to know more: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3521/drivers

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.