DVD/CD ROM Drive not recognised. (Code 45)

Hi. 

I have a Samsung laptop NP350V5C-AOEUK running windows 8.1 64 bit.

My DVD/CD drive is not recognised by the laptop. In device manager it is shown as a hidden device.

Properties of the driver:
'Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.'

I cannot physically reconnect the hardware as it is inbuilt into the laptop. It is not removable.

I have tried to alter the registry and delete the upper and lower filters but they are not there. I have also uninstalled the device and restarted the computer but this did nothing and I had to do a system restore as the device had been removed. 

I have also tried to update the driver but it says that I have the most up to date driver.

Please help! 

Thank you!
Answer
Answer

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

When you say "when updates are installed " do you mean the issue stated after installing the updates?

If yes, you can try these steps:

First roll back the driver because it was working fine prior updating. Once you rollback please step 2. It will disable the automatic driver updates for the hardware installed on the computer.

Step 1:

To restore a driver to its previous version

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

a. Open Device Manager. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b. Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device that you want to restore to a previous driver version.

c. Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

If you are logged on as a standard user, the button will be dimmed, which means it's unavailable. You must be logged on as an administrator to roll back a driver.

Note

·If there's no previous version of the driver installed for the selected device, the Roll Back Driver button will be unavailable even if you are logged on as an administrator.

Step 2:

a. On the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Windows Update Driver Settings.

b. Click Device installation settings.

Under “Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?” select “No, let me choose what to do”.

• By selecting No, the choice will be expanded. Select also “Never install driver software from Windows Update”. Under this choice Windows will not do any searching for recommended driver updates for that specific device. Save changes.
  • By selecting “No, let me choose what to do” and “Always install the best driver software from Windows Update”, Windows will offer the driver for you to keep under Recommended Updates, for possible later installation. Save changes.
  • The choice to “Replace generic device icons with enhanced icons” is offered only in the manual selection.

c. Click OK twice, and then close the System dialog box.

Please let us know the status.

51 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2020 Views 25,873 Applies to: