Dell XPS12 Windows 8.1 Audio/Sound Problems (PLZ Help!)

My computer starting having problems a few days ago with the sound. I usually use external speakers with my laptop, and there's never been an issue, but a few days ago, the sound just completely stopped coming from my computer with or without external speakers.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers for realtek audio, and I ended up getting sound back. But now, when I close the lid of my laptop (goes to sleep), and come back to do work, the sound is gone again. I have to restart my computer in order for there to be sound.

I tried scanning for new driver updates again, but nothing came up, so I'm assuming there must be some issue with my sound card?

Anyone have similar problems or permanent solutions? Thanks

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 321 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Samuel,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

As per the query, you are having issues with sound on your Dell XPS12 laptop.

I would suggest you to place the computer in clean boot to check if any third party program/application are causing this issue.

Perform a clean boot:

Refer to the following Microsoft Help Article on how to perform a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

I would also suggest you to run the built in audio troubleshooter to diagnose and fix common sound playback and hardware problems.

Refer to the following Microsoft Help Article to troubleshoot “No sound in Windows”.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

In the above article refer step 2 to run the audio troubleshooter.

Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.