Cannot uninstall RealPlayer Cloud

Updated to Windows 8.1 last night. Today I found RealPlayer Cloud listed as a device on my computer, which I had never seen before. Haven't used it in a long time, (unwittingly installed recent update) so I attempted uninstall in Control Panel.

Control Panel told me it had a problem uninstalling it, perhaps it was already uninstalled, did I want it to remove RealPlayer from list of programs? I opted to keep it there until I was sure it was uninstalled.

Searched the web for solutions to not being able to uninstall RealPlayer. Surprisingly, RealPlayer came up in the results, so I clicked on the link that took me to http://www.real.com/realplayer/cloud/product/uninstall. That started a brief survey at the end of which I expected the uninstall would happen. It did not.

Frustrated, I returned to the search results and tried the instructions at http://blog.joemanna.com/how-to-uninstall-realplayer/ but found RealPlayer would not allow me to remove the program files because they were "in use."

I then launched Task Manager, ended every process associated with Real or RealPlayer I could find, and also stopped any service associated with it. Still was unable to remove the program files for the same reason.

Then I removed all the related icons on the task bar and start window.  Still cannot remove the program files, and RealPlayer Cloud is still listed as a separate device in My Computer, although it does not appear at all in the device screen (so I cannot remove it from there, either). 

The only RealPlayer Removal Tool suggestions I have found so far are on an eHow page at http://www.ehow.com/how_7295117_remove-realplayer-completely.html. I am both wary and skeptical of these recommendations.

How can I get rid of this pest?

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2019 Views 80,228 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I discovered an uninstall command inside the real folder c:/program files/real/RealPlayer/RPDS  . I used it and it deregistered the files and removed most of the folders, including the pesky cloud shortcut. I'll be checking for stray files, but seems to have done it.

Program was not listed in installed programs and Website removal tool was useless.

50 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If you just want to disable that annoying popup asking you to sign in to the Realplayer Cloud you can follow these steps on a Windows 8 PC:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click on Administrative Tools

3. Double click on Services

4. Scroll down and locate “Realplayer Cloud Service”

5. Right click on the Realplayer Cloud Service icon and select Properties.

6. Click on the “Startup type” dropdown box and change it to manual. (Default setting is “Automatic”).

7. Click on Apply, and then click Ok.

8. Close all open windows and restart the computer, the annoying login popup should be gone.

So far this has worked for me. I was getting really tired of the sign in popup every time I logged into my PC.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.