Brother MFC 7360N printer - "Printer in error state."

Original title: Brother MFC 7360N printer

I have been using the printer with XP and is working fine. I recently bought a new Dell XPS 8700 computer with Windows 8.1 (Support for XP stops in April). But I cannot get the printer to work with it. After downloading the driver (supplied by Brother for Windows 8.1) when I try to print I get the message "Printer in error state." I have talked to reps. of Dell (almost 2 hours), Brother (more than an hour) and Microsoft (rep. of Microsoft was not helpful and did not seem to understand the problem.) Does any one including the three organizations - Dell, Brother, and Microsoft - help me? I also saw at Office Max the carton for the printer saying it is compatible with MFC 7360N.

Answer
Answer

Finally I got my printer to work with assistance from a Brother rep. Your situation may be different but here it is for what it is worth.

I am happy to say that my printer (Brother MFC-7360N bought in 2011) is working satisfactorily after a knowledgeable rep from Brother navigated me through all the steps over a 3-hour phone conversation. The process was quite complicated and I give below the various important steps as I remember them.

1. First check if the printer has the latest software by pressing simultaneously the * and # keys on the printer. Note the first letter in the display. If the letter is J I think it should work with Windows 8. If it is an earlier version with the printer bought in 2012 or earlie (mine is D) the software in the printer needs to be updated for Windows 8 to recognize it. This is a complicated process.
  2. She (the rep.) asked me if I have an Ethernet cable and I do not have one. I do not know what would be the process if I had one.
  3. Make sure that USB2 port (not USB3) is used to connect the printer to the computer.
  4. Most likely the computer with Windows 8 will not recognize the printer.
  5. She then asked me if I have another computer with non-Windows8 OS. I have a laptop with Windows 7.
  6. She then uninstalled any previous printer drivers. This took more than 10 minutes.
  7. She then installed the appropriate software to operate with Windows 8.
  8. At this stage the printer was connected to the laptop with USB2 cable.
  9. She downloaded the latest software to the printer so that it would work with Windows 8. This took about 20 minutes with periodic beeps from the printer.

10.  A test page was then printed.

11.  The laptop was disconnected from the printer.

12.  The Brother software was downloaded to the Windows 8 computer.

13. Navigated me regarding the connections to the printer and selecting the port. The 7360N icon was found on the control panel. A test page was printed. I also tried with another software (FrameMaker) to print a page. It worked.

I found that not all Brother reps are as good as the one that helped me. I spent considerable amount of time talking to 3 or 4 other reps before I got the one who knew all the steps. Unfortunately, I do not know how to identify her.

If you cannot get your printer to work another alternative (a little expensive and I was thinking about it) is to purchase the latest 7360N machine which is on sale at Office Max for $129 (today may be the last day for sale.)

I hope the information is useful to you and will get your printer to work. GOOD LUCK.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2020 Views 14,741 Applies to: