After upgrading to Windows 8.1, my Bluetooth device doesn’t work.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, my Bluetooth device doesn’t work. How can I get it working again?
Answer
Answer

Hi,

First, try updating the device’s driver:

1.      Check Windows Update for driver updates.

a.      Swipe in from the right to bring up the charms, and select Settings.

b.      Tap or click Change PC Settings.

c.      Select Update and recovery, then select Windows Update.

d.      Select Check for updates. Make sure to look at the Optional updates in the results.

2.      Check the device manufacturer’s site for updated drivers.

3.      Check the radio manufacturer’s site for updates. To determine what make and model of Bluetooth radio you have:

a.      Swipe in from the right to bring up the charms and select Search, and search for device manager. Open Device Manager from the search results.

b.      In Device Manager, expand Bluetooth, and look for a device with a name starting with Broadcom, Intel, or Qualcomm Atheros (these are the major radio manufacturers). Check the website of your radio manufacturer for driver updates.

c.      If you don’t see one of these manufacturers, but instead see Generic Bluetooth Adapter:

i.     Press-and-hold or right-click on Generic Bluetooth Adapter, and select Properties

ii.     Select the Advanced tab.

iii.     Note the number next to Manufacturer ID.

iv.     Find that manufacturer ID on this page: https://www.bluetooth.org/en-us/specification/assigned-numbers/company-identifiers  (Common ones will be 2 = Intel, 15 = Broadcom, 69 = Atheros)

4.      Once you have updated your Bluetooth drivers, please try using your device again. In many cases, updating to the latest drivers will resolve the issue. In some instances, you may need to un-pair and re-pair the device from the Bluetooth settings (from the Settings charm, select Change PC Settings, and then select Bluetooth) to completely fix the issue.

If, after updating to the latest available driver and re-pairing the device, your Bluetooth device is still not working, please provide the following information in your post:

·              PC manufacturer and model

·              Bluetooth radio manufacturer and model

·              Remote device manufacturer and model

This information will help Microsoft to further understand your issue and determine if it is a known issue or a new problem that needs additional investigation.

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2021 Views 144,314 Applies to: