C++ Runtime Error The Movies Stunts and Effects Game on Windows 8.1

Hi, any help on this would be much appreciated:

After having upgraded to Windows 8.1 I've found that one of my favorite (older) games 'The Movies' and its expansion 'Stunts and Effect' by Lionhead Studios is experiencing difficulties when being played on my machine. I'm aware that 'The Movies: Stunts and Effects' expansion pack is listed as 'incompatible' on the Windows Compatibility Page, yet the base game is listed as compatible and there appears to be a lot of users out there running both the base game and the expansion pack fine on Windows 8.1. I'll do my best to give as much information as possible, and again any help on this would be very much appreciated. 

Essentially; I installed the game with few problems - I ran the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME (the only compatibility settings that appears to allow the game to run) and always as administrator. The game ran fine for a while with a few intermittent crashes and a couple of glitches, but nothing too serious. As I progressed further into the game (those of you familiar with it around the 1940s mark) the game clearly began demanding more resources as my movie studio grew in size and now I'm unable to play the game without it crashing every few minutes. Each time the game crashed, it would either return to the desktop with no warning and close down the application or the following dialogue box would appear;

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library 

Runetime Error!

Program: C:\progra~1\THEMOV~1\MoviesSE.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Brief specs for my laptop are as follows-

Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Intel CORE i5-32100m

AMD Radeon HD 7600

8.00 GB RAM

Bios: F.12

DirectX 11

So I began searching loads of different forums where people had reported similar difficulties. The following are some of the fixes I've attempted based on information I've read;

• Re-install the game - done this twice
  • Started new games in case Saved Games were corrupted
  • Clean boot - to check for any program interference/incompatibility - done this and could not find any programs that were causing issues. The game still crashed even when only essential drivers and processes were running. Made certain it wasn't my Antivirus (running Norton 360)
  • Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 redistributable pack - as recommended by other users in different forums, no luck with this either. 
  • Limited process affinity to 2 and then to 1 (running Intel CORE i5) - this was to ensure that the game being an older one wasn't struggling with too many processors 
  • Disabled audio drivers - not sure why this would have helped but it was suggested... again no luck.
  • Finally as a last resort, ran the game in windowed mode and not in full screen, to ensure it wasn't dialogue boxes or anything else flashing up that I'd missed. This seemed to make the game crash even quicker.

Here's some info copied and pasted from Event Viewer-

Error

The program MoviesSE.exe version 1.2.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: cb4
 Start Time: 01cf71e95c2c67b4
 Termination Time: 4294967295
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\The Movies\MoviesSE.exe
 Report Id: c399d177-dddd-11e3-bede-84a6c8305c0e
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Information

Fault bucket -360576931, type 5

Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: MoviesSE.exe
P2: 1.2.0.0
P3: 44500000
P4: dfd1
P5: 67246080
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5288.tmp.version.xml
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5289.tmp.xml
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER528A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
WERGenerationLog.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_MoviesSE.exe_76147361b4a6daf5c44b98a55bd6b72ea99985b_1f904a13_23e85864

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report ID: c399d177-dddd-11e3-bede-84a6c8305c0e
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 7b931ce4cfb2460f2555c04757686232

Does anyone have any idea if there's another way to solve this problem or should I just accept the game isn't compatible? Thanks! :)

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2018 Views 1,658 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Macca,

Thank you for replying with the status of the issue.

I would suggest you to try installing the latest Video card drivers from the computer manufacturer's website or from Windows Update and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to update the hardware driver:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click Device Manager.

b. Expand ‘Display Adapters’.

c. Right-click on the Video card listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.

If still the issue persists, then it would be better to contact the ActiVision support for further assistance with this issue.

ActiVision Support: http://support.activision.com/

Please feel free to visit our website for any help with Windows Operating System.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.