Question

Thumbs Data Base File and active Preview Pane in Windows Explorer prevents deletion of folders and files

M.K.R asked on

I am intrigued that now I see in every folder and subfolder a Thumbs data base file (Windows 8.1 > Windows Explorer). Presence of this file always prevents deletion of the folder/sub-folder

Deletion is also prevented when Preview Pane is active (Windows Explorer > View menu). Standard error msg: the file is open in another folder hence can't be deleted

great answers are brief, to the point, and duly supported with appropriate screenshots
1 person had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
RajithR replied on

Hi Maanoj,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

Sorry to know that you are experiencing issue with the Thums.db cache. Let me try and assist you with the issue you are experiencing.

Thumbs.db stores graphics, movie, and some document files then generates a preview of the folder contents using a thumbnail cache.

Have you enabled 'hidden folders' from Folder Options?  You won't see any thumbs.db files unless you have enabled hidden folders. 

Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Follow these steps:

a. Open the File Explorer by pressing Windows logo key + E.

b. Click on View tab and click Options.

c. Under Options window, click on the View tab.

d. Uncheck the options:

Show Hidden Files and Folders

Always show icons, never thumbnails.

e. Click on Apply and OK.

Check if that helps.

Method 2:
If that does not help, follow this article to run Disk Cleanup to remove any thumbs.db.

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

Note: Make sure there's a check next to the Thumbnails.

Let us know if it helps. If the issue persists, we will be happy to help.

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress