The folder can't be moved here

After upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, I decided to make use of the built-in SkyDrive features. I moved my Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. folders to the SkyDrive folder (using Properties -> Location -> Move on each folder). I soon realised that this wasn't really practical for me, so decided to put things back how they were (again using Properties -> Location -> Move on each folder).

This worked for all folders except Documents and Pictures. Both of these folders give me the following error:

"The folder can't be moved here

Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied."

I have tried the following:

• Emptied both the source and destination folders (also helping to prevent me losing anything while doing this)
  • Restarted the PC
  • Contacted phone support (They couldn't fix it and sent me here)

How do I correct this so that my Files can exist where they used to (i.e. D:\Users\*username*\Documents rather than D:\Users\*username*\SkyDrive\Documents)?

|
Answer
Answer

I chose a different route rather than deleting my profile and such to reset my folders.

If you go to the registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

You can manually change your special folders paths

Example:

To: %USERPROFILE%\Pictures

Reboot, move or copy your pics or songs from the skydrive to the default library or libraries.

Hope this helps

57 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2021 Views 21,737 Applies to: