SOME SOLUTIONS FOR SKYDRIVE SYNCING PROBLEMS IN Windows 8.1

1- Syncing from SkyDrive.com to your SkyDrive folder:

Verify syncing from Skydrive.com to your PC by creating or uploading a little file throug the web interface of Skydrive.com.

This new created file must appear almost instantly in your PC’s SkyDrive folder.

If not, it could be your ‘Skydrive Sync Engine Host’ service not running for some reason explained in this thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/skydrive-does-not-sync-and-clutters-file-system-on/d83306c8-7383-44d5-8d9d-81b0ec4dd849) and you can try this fix by Scott Atk:

a.      Log in as an administrator

b.      Open a command prompt as admin (right click on the Windows icon and select “command prompt (admin)”)

c.       Copy this command  reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{8E74D236-7F35-4720-B138-1FED0B85EA75}\ShellFolder /v Attributes /t reg_dword /d 0x00100000 /f

d.      Right click and paste the command at the cursor in the command window.

e.      Press Enter

f.       If the command is successful, the message The operation was completed successfully will be displayed

2- Syncing from your SkyDrive folder to SkyDrive.com:

Create or move a new file into your SkyDrive folder and verify that it appears in your SkyDrive.com.

If not, verify that your ‘Windows Search’ service is running and if not, start it.

Also verify that your SkyDrive folder is included into indexed locations (Control Panel | Indexing Options).

If you have an SSD, this service can be disabled in order to avoid constant writes to your drive for indexing updates and reduce your SSD lifespan.

I suppose that as this service is constantly monitoring writes to your drive in order to maintain the search index, it makes sense that it also delivers this changes to other processes that need this same information like SkyDrive.

Hope this could help, it worked for me.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 27, 2018 Views 445 Applies to:
The paste-in at the command prompt (Admin) recommended above worked, but only temporarily.  For a while the One Drive on my new Windows 8.1 computer was in-sync with the OneDrives on my older windows 7 computers.  But, several days later, I found that the local OneDrive on the new  8.1 computer was once again not registering OneDrive file changes entered on my older Windows 7 computers.  I re-administered the command prompt therapy recommended here, but this time it had no effect.   Another symptom  is that the local 8.1 OneDrive is protected; files in it are read-only, and new documents can't be saved there.   I've found several work-arounds.  One is to use the download folder in place of the local OneDrive, explicitly uploading and downloading to and from the web OneDrive.  Another, for editing files in the web OneDrive, is to open them online, as is offered for Excel or Word documents.  But when I open online I get several warnings that I should only do this if I trust that the site is safe, which it certainly should be, but I wish there were a clearly approved procedure that worked as indicated without raising doubts.