SkyDrive won't sync all my files on Windows 8.1

Hello. I've upgraded last week to Windows 8.1 from 8 (subscription) and SkyDrive is unable to properly sync and download all my files I've uploaded.

Before upgrading to 8.1 I used the SkyDrive desktop app to keep my files synced and it worked perfectly. I uninstalled the SkyDrive desktop app, then I upgraded to 8.1 and noticed that the "SkyDrive Sync Engine Host" process was using about 35% of my CPU, 1MB/s of my disk and network (my laptop was heating up). After 8 hours the "SkyDrive Sync Engine Host" process kept running using 40% of my CPU but using only 0.1MB/s of my disk and no network. I noticed that all my files I have uploaded to SkyDrive weren't in the SkyDrive folder.

I decided to install Windows 8.1 from scratch but this problem kept and keeps happening. Ending the process through the Task Manager, erasing the files in C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive and restarting doesn't make any difference.

The "Access all files offline" setting of the SkyDrive app is turned off, and it doesn't make any difference if I turn it on.

If I upload a new file through skydrive.com it won't be downloaded or synced to my SkyDrive folder. (Maybe the integrated SkyDrive is only downloading files that were created until a certain date.)

When I open the SkyDrive app it only shows me that is loading something (group of dots at the top).

I've already installed all the updates including the ones from today's 8.1 launch.

If I open and edit a file inside the SkyDrive folder, the changes made are not present on skydrive.com

I hope you could help me with this, thank you.

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Edit: Typos.

Answer
Answer
I too had this problem with SkyDrive not syncing all of my files or at least saying it was still syncing. I tried the Windows 8.1 Preview when it was released over the summer, but quickly restored back to Windows 8 because of issues with SkyDrive sync. I was hoping I would have no problems with the RTM of Windows 8.1 sync. Anyway, I was syncing all of my SkyDrive files, by using the SkyDrive Modern App and toggling "Access all files offline" to on. I have over 30,000 items. It would hang saying it was downloading 113 items. This sat for days. The items appear to be on the local pc. To fix, I did the following:

1. Open Windows Explorer and right-click SkyDrive on the left side and select "Properties"
2. Click the location tab and move the SkyDrive folder from it's default location to C:\Users\Username\TempSync. You can use any folder you like.
3. When the files are done moving, Go into the SkyDrive Modern App and check options. I think the "Access all files offline" resets to off. Leave it at this for now.
4. Open Windows Explorer and right-click SkyDrive on the left side and select "Properties"
5. Click the location tab and click "Restore Default". This will again move the files.
6. When the files are done moving, Go into the SkyDrive Modern App and check options. Toggle "Access all files offline"  to on.

This worked for me, no more pending items and the sync is working both directions.

Hope it helps,

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Please check the private message and you will see a troubleshooter  to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2018 Views 6,081 Applies to: