NO SSD Hardware but getting Event ID: 257 Error 0x80070057 on new Upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro

Edited: for punctuation and a couple of additions, Sorry for any confussion!

Hi Folks

I am getting this error from the Disk Optimizer, after upgrading to W 8.1 Pro from W 8.0, on TWO different partitions on a 2 TB HDD that has THREE partitions. The third one, I just reimaged it for a W 8.1 Pro Lab, which OPTIMIZED OKAY. My System 1 TB HDD drive with 3 partitions optimized fine. At the present time, the only Flash Drives I have are Thumb Drives (Jump Drives) which are NOT "check off" for optimization.

I DO NOT have any SSD's!!!

Thank You for your attention to this issue,

Crysta

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2018 Views 201 Applies to:

Hi,

Can you please briefly explain what do you mean by “upgrading to W 8.1 Pro from W 8.0 on TWO different partitions on a 2 TB HDD that has THREE partitions.”

This problem may occur if the Dmadmin.exe process is not responding. When you add a disk device to the computer, the Plug and Play service deletes a volume object and then creates a new volume object that has a different name. However, the Dmadmin.exe process waits for the volume object that the Plug and Play service deleted.

Method 1: I would suggest you to optimize your hard drive.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Method 2: Run Checkdisk: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2854570

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Method 3: I would suggest you to run online virus scan using Microsoft safety scanner.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note:  1) The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

2) If you run the virus scan the program that is infected with virus will get deleted. So you have to reinstall the program. Also if the files and folders are affected with virus then they might even get deleted.

Post us the results, Once you try the above steps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vijay,

I appologize for the confussion, and sending you done an eronious "rabit hole". I editied the original, please reread it. I believe the punctuation and other additions will make things more clear. I'd guess it is what happens when one is digging into numorous forums. This seems to be an occational problem with the "Disk Optimizer" but usually because of trying to "Optimize" SSD's, of which I have none. I have seen this issue reported by a user that also was SSD free. I run MS Defender live with system requested scans along with MalwareBytes running live as well and occational scans on it, both up to date. WinPatrol also plays a promenat part on my system, so therefore I do not believe this is virus related. I never thought of running Chkdsk, so I have completed 5 stages on one partition and am on the 4th stage on the second problem partition with no problems, so I decided to relpy.

I hope you have more ideas so that I can Optimize those 2 Partitians like the rest.

Best Regards,

Crysta

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Crysta,

I feel your obvious frustration.  It's obvious those at Microsoft fail to understand what is obvious to all a widespread problem.  I wrote them about this specific problem and all they replied with was "please refer to the Microsoft Community".  It's sad an organization such as Microsoft has resorted to not providing even an "acknowledgement of the problem", or even "we're working on a solution".  I doubt Bill would have allowed something like this to happen under his watch.

Good Luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I got help on the Technet community forum. After much investigation, the solution ended up, was to reformat the partitions. Something in the update to 8.1 corrupted something???? in two of three partitions on my secondary data/multiboot volume.

Hope this helps somebody here,

Best Regards,

Crysta

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Sorry this didn't help.