How to fix the "File is open in another program" error

Where i work we scan and attach documents from out network drive to a program. Ive never had problems deleting files before until i got this new computer with windows 8.1 (previous was windows 7). What i do is attach the file to our program and when the program says "completed" i go back to my file, right click, and delete. Before everything went flawlessly, but now i get an error saying its open in another program. If it comes up (which it does most of the time) i just keep clicking try again. normally it ranges from 2-10 times that i have to click before it finally deletes and i want to know why and how to fix the problem. Would upgrading to windows 10 help?

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2019 Views 36,033 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Kiersten,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Is your computer connected to domain?

You may receive this error in terms of folder as well. You might find this quite annoying because you have to restart Windows or File Explorer to suppress this warning. And sometimes, even restarting Explorer doesn’t helps and you might have to reboot the machine.

Let's try the following steps and check.

1. Whenever you face this issue, just press the Windows Key + E combination on keyboard. This will launch File Explorer, in the ribbon, click View tab. Then click Options -> Change folder and search options.

2. Moving on, in the Folder Options windows so opened, scroll down and found the Launch folder windows in a separate process option under Advanced settings. Since you’re facing this issue, you would find this option enabled, hence disable it.

3. Click Apply followed by OK. You can now close all the instances of File Explorer via Task Manager or reboot the machine, if setting is not applied immediately.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.