Can someone tell me what is GWXUX, and how to get rid of pop up about it?

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is GWXUX, and how to get rid of pop up about it?

Many times, every day, I get a  pop up that tells me that GWXUX has stopped working. I checked other inquires in the community, but they all refer to Windows 10. I don't have Windows 10, and don't even think it is out yet, so why I am I getting that message?

When I click the Window icon on my taskbar, it opens to the offer to reserve Windows 10. So for the part everything seems to be OK

I use a laptop and have Windows 8.1 and IE 11,

Thank you

This is the Pop up:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

GWXUX is the user interface for the GWX (Get Windows 10) application, which runs the system scans to verify that you don't have any conflicting drivers or programs that won't work with the upcoming free Windows 10 download.

When did this message start appearing on your computer? 

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Shawn "Cmdr" Keene

The message started to appear around 3-4 days ago. What should I do about it  when it comes back again? 

I usually click it out, but I clicked the "check online for a solution..." the first time it I saw it,  but right now, I really don't remember what it said on the page that opened.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hopefully it doesn't keep happening, but if it does, I would run System Restore to go back 3-4 days to restore the system.  Just right-click Start, choose "Run" and type rstrui.  It will restore your system files back to the backup copies (but won't affect your own files).

You can also remove the GWX program entirely (if the restore doesn't) by going to Control Panel (right-click Start button for that also) and going to Programs (like where you would uninstall a program), go to Installed Updates on the left and remove KB3035583 to remove the GWX program. 

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Shawn,

I will work on that if I see it again.  Just to clarify something. Because of what you tell me, it seems that I can do fine without the file. Is that correct?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

It provides a nice service for users planning on installing the free Windows 10 update next month, but it's not a critical program and removing it won't cause any harm. You can still even get the Windows 10 update.

That being said, I'd keep it unless it causes problems.  The service it does provide is indeed nice: it will scan your system and let you know if you have any reason for concern, such as an antivirus program or a driver that won't work if you install the update. It can warn you about it and make suggestions.

It also pre-downloads the update and lets you know when it's ready to be installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

How i will get Windows 10 while I have this error. How i will get off this error .

and there is no GWX program installed so that i can uninstall it from program uninstalling

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, use the steps I suggested on June 23 above:

Either run System Restore to go back 3-4 days to restore the system.  Just right-click Start, choose "Run" and type rstrui.  It will restore your system files back to the backup copies (but won't affect your own files).

You can also remove the GWX program entirely (if the restore doesn't) by going to Control Panel (right-click Start button for that also) and going to Programs (like where you would uninstall a program), go to Installed Updates on the left and remove KB3035583 to remove the GWX program. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Shawn,

I wanted to update you on what has being going on with my GWX problem.

I went to Control Panel and to Programs and Features, but I don't see the file in there. I did, however,  remove it from the Updates.  But the message still keeps appearing. I am not fond of using the Restore Utility, so I haven't tried that yet.

I don't know what to do now. I guess that if there is no other way, I will have to restore the system which now will be to a way back day. This makes me fear loosing stuff that I have done or changed in the computer since then.

I would be OK with keeping the Program, but can't stand getting that message all the time. I really think that is not a good starting for Windows 10. It makes me thing of more glitches to come later on when it gets installed.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

System Restore only reverts back key essential system files and registry settings: you won't lose stuff by doing it.  And you can always "undo" any restore operation you perform, so there's never any risk or fear involved.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rosey

I have the same problem, and I am worry to run system restore since in the past I have done it and lost information in my computer :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2020 Views 31,421 Applies to: