Win 8.1 mail app stripping .wav extension from voicemail attachments

So I have my MagicJack account send my voicemail to my gmail account. If I open gmail in a browser the attachment functions correctly. When I try to open from the mail app, nothing happens, and if I right click and choose "open with" nothing happens. I am then forced to download the file to my desktop, where I notice there is no extension, just "Voicemail sound attachment" when I try to open from desktop the message says can't open a "." file.

So... where is the extension? Why is it being removed? How can I get it back?

Peggy.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Peggy,

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons.

1. Incorrect App settings.

2. If default app\program settings are not set correctly.

Method 1:
If the issue persists, I would suggest you to run 
the app troubleshooter and check if it helps.

App Troubleshooter

Method 2:
If the issue persists, you may also check in default programs settings if it is set correctly.

Set program access and computer defaults

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm getting the same problem.  It did not happen on my Win7 machine using Windows Live mail app, but the Win8.1 Mail app behaves just as Peggy describes.   Try to save the attachment and you get a zero-byte file which won't play either.    I tried using my LIVE account to send a .wav file to my GMAIL account and it was received fine, with full file extension and playback.    So far Magicjack support can't explain what is getting corrupted.   Maybe truncation of long file name might drop the extension, but this is odd that it is unique to Win8.1.   So far I have no answer either.  Geetru response is not a solution.

-Dan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is another clue: I checked the same gmail message and compared the Win8.1 Mail message vs that with the gmail app at www.gmail.com.     The Win8.1 attachment is called "Voicemail sound attachment.", (not no file extension) while the gmail web app attachment name is "msg0001.wav".   msg0001.wav plays just fine in the web browser.    I can't get "Voicemail sound attachment." to work no matter what I try.  Something fishy is going on between google and MS that I can't explain.   HELP!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DeRaven,

For a better understanding of the issue, I would need more information from your end.

1. Does the issue happen only when sending files from MagicJack Account?

2. Does the issue occur when the files are send to a different account?

I would suggest you to try the steps in the article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems with an app
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Note: Try all the steps except Uninstall and re-install the app.

If the issue persists, you may try to remove and add the email account again. Check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran the app diagnostic.  Said there was some minor security problem with an undisclosed app and it was reset.   But Magicjack is not a windows store app so this probably made no difference.

I ran another experiment - I found a short .wav file and made copies.  I named one "Voicemail sound attachment.wav", the other "msg0001.wav".   I used my LIVE account to send it to my GMAIL account in separate messages.   They were received in GMAIL uncorrupted and played properly when GMAIL was accessed using WIn8.1 mail.   Whatever is going on seems to be unique to the Magicjack application.    Still this does not explain the root cause.   Why the same message has different attachments when accesed via webmail and accessed by Win8.1 Mail is peculiar.     I'm stumped.     I may try going to Magicjack support to help diagnose this, but I really don't want to be caught into fingerpointing between MS, Google and Magicjack.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a question: could MS Mail be doing some sort of security filtering on this type of Gmail message, causing the attachment from gmail to be renamed and also corrupted?   I know it does this for spam.     If so, how can one change a security rule on that?   (The gmail does not land in a spam or junk folder.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DeRaven,

I would suggest you to download the attachment to the desktop and then change the extension to .wav.

Also make sure to Uncheck "Hide Extensions of Known File Types" in Files and Folder options. Refer to the steps.

a) Press Windows and x together and select Windows Explorer.
b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.

c) Click the View tab, and then uncheck "Hide Extensions of Known File Types".

d) Click on Apply and then Ok.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Extensions of known file types are already displayed on my PC.   I tried saving the attachment but it became 0 Bytes on my desktop.   I tried renaming it with .wav extension and  WMP could not open this file, but 0 bytes is the problem I suspect.      So I'm still stuck as to why the message is msg0001.wav and plays normally in Gmail web page, but when imported from Gmail by Win8 Mail it is renamed and rendered useless.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar problem and I don't have magic jack.  My voip provider emails voice mails to me as a WAV file with a very similar name.  I can play other wav files but when I try these the same thing as described previously occurs.  These files will play from the Yahoo mail app.   So it seems specific to M Mail app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As the original poster, I have to say that I still haven't gotten this to work. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread and so-far nothing works. I just pinned the Gmail webpage to my start screen and use that instead of the windows mail app. I wish it did work though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2020 Views 768 Applies to: