Search in Windows 8.1...... loss of functionality compared to Windows 7 ?????

Is the following true?  Search in Windows 8.1 cannot find things in my apps.  I am a heavy user of Outlook 2007 and OneNote 2010.  I rely on search to find things.....a lot !!!  The search box above the start in Windows 7 was great....it would search my files, emails, and OneNote contents.  This doesn't seem to be the case for Windows 8 or 8.1.   I've looked around a bit and it seems like that functionality has been removed.....if this is true.....I can only ask....what the heck are they thinking???  I use this thing for a living and the need to use app specific search is a major step backwards.  I'm hoping I'm wrong and someone will point me to the appropriate settings.  Thx in advance......jim.f

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2018 Views 75 Applies to:

Hi Jim,

With search in Windows 8.1 our intent is to have one way to find what you’re looking for, whether it’s a document on your PC, a photo album in the cloud, an app, PC setting or a website. In just a tap or a click you can play, view, launch, or browse.

It supports local folders, apps, PC settings and features, SkyDrive account, mail accounts, and even the web, displaying results right on the Start Screen. Modern search needs to be complete and help you find what you are looking for.

Refer to the links for more information:

How to search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/search-apps-files-settings

Using the charms for things you do often

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/charms-tutorial

Hope this answers your query. You can write back to us for further queries/issues related to windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply....but I don't think it is answering my question....probably my bad in how I asked it.  problem: I am not seeing evidence that the search in 8.1 is accessing the  contents of files. 

here are two examples:

1) in one of my OneNote notebooks, I have a section and numerous references to "201 Harrison".  The search in Windows 7 would find the pages containing that text and show me the individual pages containing the text as the file-name.one with the OneNote icon.  Windows 8.1 is not finding it.  I have my indexing set to index OneNote and the folder is in my library, so it should be indexed

2) I have an email with the title "order_support".  Windows 7 search would find it show it with an icon that told me it was an email.  Not happening in Windows 8.1.   I have my indexing set to index outlook and the folder is in my library, so it should be indexed.

I'm hoping this is a settings issue.....but I don't see anything about this in the search options of 8.1

thanks in advance......jim

Sorry this didn't help.

Jim

Do you have index properties AND CONTENTS checked?

Control panel>indexing options>contents

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Sorry this didn't help.