Question

Q: Eudora *.toc files will not open

I have been using Eudora 7.1 for a good many years now, including on my old Dell XPS 630 running Win 8.1. I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 23 Touch with Win 8.1. I installed Eudora (and the old mail boxes) on it without incident. Eudora worked well for about a week or so until yesterday. Now when I use Eudora and try to access a mail box I get the following error:

Could not open the file D:\ApplicationData\Eudora\[file name, e.g., Trash.toc for writing.

Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked as read only or locked (13)

I assume toc indicates a table of contents for the file.  I thought that I could rename the file (e.g., Trashx.toc), open it in Notepad, save it as the original file name (Trash.toc) and Eudora would be happy with that. However, now that does not seem to work. When I try to go to another mailbox I get the same error.  This does not appear to happen w/ every mail box, but it affects a lot of them.

Is there some system setting that will undo this lock?

An afterthought: I can move the old Eudora files from the old PC to the new one, but in doing so I will lose about ten days’ worth of mail.

Answer

A:

Thanks for the thought on doing a system restore. Actually I think I finally found a solution to my problem. I looked at some of the TOC files in Notepad and noticed that they were not very long, and among the gibberish were some clear text data. I took a guess that Eudora re-writes the appropriate file every time it takes an action.  With this in mind I renamed the affected files (e.g., out.tocx) and started Eudora. Sure enough, it ran OK and created a new (in this case) out.toc.

So far – only a couple of days – Eudora has been running OK. We’ll see as time goes on.  Thanks to all for your comments.

Regards,

James

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 466 Last updated: June 22, 2018 Applies to: