Digital License after formating

I just got myself a new Hard Drive and since I have a ton of space now I want to put everything in order on my pc. The thing is that my partitions are messy, and I will need to reformat the Hard Drive I have my windows installed on to fix it.

I have Windows 10 upgraded from a previous version, so that means I have a digital license, and I HAVE read that I should be able to just go ahead and reinstall it and I should be able to keep my license.

I still want to give all the information about what I want to do so I know I'm not making any mistakes.

After the formating (where I intend to play around with my C drive's partition) and reinstallation will I be able to mantain my digital license?

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2019 Views 3,897 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

In conclusion, there is no need to worry about changing the drive then performing a new install. Your Activation Status will remain intact.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

As long as Upgrade was activated on the PC, it has a permanent Digital License.

Follow Clean Install Windows 10  which compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given. 

Make sure during the booted install to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, as illustrated in the link.

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the Wiki. 

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. 

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.